Sunday, October 16, 2022

…. Time: Yours and Mine

 That Car:

 September Packard

December Packard

 For today:

 ‘Try to Remember’ on Myra‘s blog.  Victor’s ‘Father Maple’ singing: ‘If I only had time’,..... time to chase dreams, etc.

We all had so many things we wanted to do. As a builder I  wanted a subdivision. Streets named after our sons and grandkids. Affordable homes with kids running the streets.

My Sherry was retiring soon, she saw the stress I was accumulating. We had the land, we had the official surveys done ($$$$), Streets and layouts ($$$). Son Mark chose the name, “Magnolia Spring.” At each meeting our City Council wanted one more thing. ‘Sidewalks both sides of the street, a park, NO cul-de-sacs etc. MY ignorance, I refused to get an attorney, I wanted to do it all. BIG Mistake….

One day Sherry said, “Why don’t you forget it. Retire when I do and we will travel.”

I married not only a beautiful lady, but also a wise one.

We built 4 homes along a city street bordering the subdivision land, took the profits and hit the road….. A little later, while in South Texas, I received a phone call from the City of Belmont. The City Manager wanted to talk to me about the ‘illegal subdivision’ I had built. I guess I raised my voice, “YOU SIGNED OFF ON EVERY BUILDING PERMIT I USED. I AM IN TEXAS BUT YOU CAN BET I WILL BE PRESENT AT NEXT WEEK’S COUNCIL MEETING.” I hung up. I did not say, but we had planned to return next week anyway. LOL

He met me at the door of the meeting APPOLOGETIC, “I was wrong and everything is in order, you don’t need to attend the council meeting.” I left.

I shoulda stayed, an attorney representing another General Contractor attained permission for a subdivision which included dead end streets, cul-de-sacs, and no playground that night.  LOL

I am still sure we made the right decision BUT even then it ‘didn’t give enough time’ to do it all. (Ireland and the 'Appalachian Trail' still hang heavy in my head….)



"September"

Amazing the ‘succinct’ messages some songs send out. Try to Remember  From ‘The Play: Fantasticks’ (1960):

Try to remember when life was so tender
That no one wept except the willow
Try to remember the kind of September
When love was an ember about to billow
Try to remember and if you remember
Then follow, follow

I didn’t plan to use the last verse, to keep my # of words down, but I must, because I am deep in December of life… so try this on:

Deep in December, it's nice to remember
Although you know the snow will follow
Deep in December, it's nice to remember
The fire of September that made us mellow
Deep in December, our hearts should remember
And follow, follow, follow

"December"

NiteShipslog

PS: Blame this long post on Father Maple(in the UK) and Myra ;-)

7 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Aw, thanks for the shout-out!
I'm heartened to realize there's someone else who pays attention and picks up on lyrics which resonate.

Ya, I've come to realize that my/our best times are seen in the rear-view mirror. Tom's issues make travel unlikely. Given the price of gas, maybe that's not a bad thing? *lol* I thank my father for instilling in me a love for travel -- while one is still able to go and enjoy it. Haven't we all heard of or known people who put off their dream vacations, then passed before they were able to do so. Yep, we're lucky.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you so much for this post and for mentioning me, Jack. You are such a lovely man and I wish we could meet, but you are so far away for me to come over and get back home for supper the same day.

What you say here is so true and made me think of my youth. In those days everything was important and we stood for what we believed and even argued the facts. But now, looking back, was it all worth it? Could I have done it differently? Did I need to go to such lengths to prove my point?

Regrets ... I've had a few; but then again too few to mention. I did it my stubborn way.

(Don't you just hate plagiarism, Jack? Copying someone else's lyrics. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will have no plagiarism at all).

God bless you and Sherry.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Times goes by so fast that It's hard to remember the days. They streak by and become a blurred memory. I'm glad you decided to follow Sherry's advice. I think you quit at the perfect time and were young enough to enjoy all those years of traveling. I love that September song. It's one of my favorites as September had lots of things to remember in it. I think I'm in the December part of my life but will never forget September. Beautiful post today! Enjoyed it so much!

Chatty Crone said...

Good post today. I think I am starting to be in the September of my life too. I am glad you retired when you did and you got to do so many wonderful things.

NanaDiana said...

You were a beautiful couple then and are a beautiful couple now. What a blessing to have time together to travel and enjoy life.

I have 'lost' dreams along the way, too. It is a matter of acceptance and growth in a different direction that keeps me going, I think.

God bless you both- xo Diana

betty said...

I bet you and Sherry are surprised December came so quickly! Time has a way of doing that I suppose. You both accomplished so much and I know you are grateful for all of that!

betty

yaya said...

What a lovely post. Yes, the seasons of our life go quickly and it's easy to see life differently when we look back. But you chose wisely and enjoyed so many adventures! Each season has it's beauty and although there are times I wish I could feel like I did in the Spring of my life I'm grateful for this Autumn time of life I'm in now. I live in a place that has all 4 seasons and even Winter has it's beauty as I can see in the last pic of you and Sherry! Yep, a time to remember.