Sunday, October 30, 2022

Trick or Treat

 That Car:


Pumpkins are a big part of Halloween!


For today:

Of course we always celebrated on Halloween. Some preachers railed against the holiday, but it did not stop us kids from dressing up in home-made costumes and heading to town to walk the streets, laugh make noise and try to ID our friends.

The 10 cent mask was usually the only part of MOST costumes that was ‘bought’.  There were some real inventive kids that came up with great costumes. (some folk think I never took my costume off! LOL)

WE did ‘trick’.  The biggest thing for boys was turning over trash barrels that someone had forgotten and left near the road.  Then of course there was the ivory soap with which to mark, write and draw on store windows.


Some of us cheated and used wax.  It was pretty easy to get since most mamas used it to seal jars of jelly when canning.

 

Nite Shipslog

PS:  HAPPY HALLOWEEN, WTCH FOR GOBLINS!

7 comments:

betty said...

You have great memories from long ago Halloweens, Jack! Times sure have changed over the years of how people participate with it!

betty

Unknown said...

I don't remember doing anything mischievous on Halloween night. All I know is my siblings and I went out no matter how cold it was and got as much candy as we could fit into our bags. We made the most of the night. No time for shenanigans. LOL Happy Halloween to you and Sherry.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Happy Halloween to you and your family, Jack.

(Whispers: My Mom-in-law is visiting. I'd better hide!)

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO YOU AND SHERRY. Boys seem to be more mischeivious than girls. We never got into trouble. I remember taking my younger sisters to trick or treating. It was my job to keep them safe. You must remember to say Trick or Teat and then thank you when you get a treat. That's what we did and always had plenty of candy for quite awhile.

Chatty Crone said...

I never thought of doing a trick like you did - lol. Funny I wonder if that is just boys?

Woody said...

I have Grreat Memories of Halloween in a small town, Never damage done to anyones property. We did soap an wax store windows, turned over an out house or 2 but made sure it was tipped over carefully so as not to break. Great Memories !
HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO YOU AND YOUR HONEY ! Gary and Anna Mae

Mevely317 said...

Aw, thank you for resurrecting such happy memories! You're the only other person to mention 'soaping' store windows! Even on FB, when I mention that early 50's memory no-one seems to know what I'm talking about.

I can't remember participating in any tom-foolery. Nevertheless, I always laughed like it was the first time when my father -- a preacher's kid -- would talk about gathering dogs' poop in a paper bag, setting it on fire on someone's porch and ringing their doorbell.

These black/white photos are wonderful!