Thursday, October 27, 2022

Looking Back, Longtime Friends, A different era. (Part 2)

 Transportation, 'Thumbing':

Optimistic soldier in Iraq hitch hiking LOL

(It was a joke, he said, as they carried him off!)  LOL

 For today:

Buddy was the first to move away, His dad took a pastorate in Mississippi, methinks.  I was the next to leave the Belmont area when I joined the USMC.

I had never known anyone from other states except kin in SC & GA. It is an eye-opener to hear different accents and notice men laughing good heartedly at the Southern Act-SENT!  LOL

I met Pvt. Robert Dallas F. in the USMC. I know him as Dallas. Most folks in the Pennsylvania area call him Bob methinks. As Corporals, Dallas and I spent many evenings in the barracks while most of our peers were at the club shooting pool and drinking 3.2 beer. We both were love-struck and had a competition i.e. “whose girl was the best and prettiest.” He was sure Marion was God’s gift, but I KNEW it was Sherry!  LOL

Dallas and friends hitchhiking!

Dallas hitchhiked to Pennsylvania most weekends he had off. He was never late returning by Monday morning’s formation. He was close a couple times but he made it.

It was a different time then. If you were in uniform and put that thumb out, you got a ride pretty soon. ‘Thumbing’ as it was called then, is dangerous today, both ways, driver and rider.

In the background, two Corporals and their ladies.

Marion and Dallas married a month after Sherry & I. We all moved into the Camp Geiger Trailer Park and were neighbors. Sherry & Marion became good friends. (Marion and I are the kids!)

Now Sonny, I have mentioned him often.  He was 10 years my senior. He was a BIL but my buddy, we had much in common. He is gone and I miss him every day.

Then came Dan.  Have you ever really liked/enjoyed a BOSS MAN? Dan was my immediate senior and also Senior Chief @ NIPS (Naval Intelligence Processing Systems). We worked closely together and were sent on several Temporary Duty assignments together. He was a family man with a very good family. Our families became close, we bonded and continued to stay in contact until we both retired. They settled in Lancaster, PA. 

(Once on a visit Joan and Dan took us on a tour of President Buchanan's home, just a few blocks from their home.)

 We visited at least once a year for a long time. BUT, there is a sad story here. The love of his life, Joan, has been attacked by the Dreaded Alzheimer’s.  On our last visit we were in their daughter’s Chocolate Factory (Miessie Chocolate). She smiled, we chatted, but she did not know us. That is a sad feeling.

But real friends are special……

NiteShipslog

PS:

6 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Real friends are priceless. My very BFF and I met in a laundromat in FL when we were young and had babies and did own our homes with washers yet. We have both moved cross-country but always been within 5 hours or less of driving time. I need to see her before she makes a permanent move to Colorado later this fall. She knows all my secrets...and thank God she has never tried to blackmail me. lol

Great pictures of you and your friends! Hugs- Diana

Victor S E Moubarak said...

It is so good that you kept in touch with your friends, and managed to meet despite the long distances between you. Over here, even 50 miles is seen as a long distance. We keep in touch mostly by Internet - Christmas greetings once a year.

I find your posts very inspiring and encouraging. Thanx.

God bless you and yours.

Chatty Crone said...

I will go one further - friends are sometimes better than family to you!

Mevely317 said...

The 'then and now' images are so endearing!
What's that saying about, Friends are the family we gift ourselves. Something like that.
Thank you for being our friends!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Having a good friend especially when far from home means everything. So glad you had some good ones with happy memories !

betty said...

It is neat that you have had a variety of friends over the years, Jack! I think all friends enrich our lives in some way!

betty