Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Looking back, Friends

 That Car:


For today:

Sherry lived in Belmont until we were married.  She still knows folks from her earliest memory. I am reminded when reading the obits she repeats the name and says, “I remember him/her from the Climax, Imperial or other Mill Villages in Belmont. (or) They moved into the house we left, when we moved to the ‘Imperial’ Mill Village.” … "I was in school with his brother.". That would have been when she was 3-7 yrs old. I could never do that. I do not have OLD school friends, we moved too often. She still meets with people from her school days most Monday Mornings, when we are in Belmont.

Sadly, many people we both knew in the 1950s, have been in the Obits.

My longtime friends have nothing to do with school. Friends are special. I have become friends with some of Sherry’s old friends and their mates.

Don & Evelyn. Evelyn was in Sherry's class of '56. She married an old man from class of '57.  LOL

The friend I have known the longest is Vondale. We became friends at 9 or 10. His dad was a General Contractor, Vondale did not follow in his dad’s footsteps. I admired his dad. He was a self-made man and became my mentor. Vondale was successful in business.

The next real friend was Buddy. He and I had something in common, his dad was also a great guy and a preacher. He also became friends with Vondale. We were a three-some for a few years. Vondale was a scrapper, he never shied from a fist fight, I never saw him lose. He would never say ‘Uncle.’.

Buddy on the other hand was the fighter, If some fool said, “hey dude, Imma knock your block off.” Buddy immediately hit him, HARD!

I was the lover out of the three, although Buddy did take a girl friend from me. LOL .. In life we also have something in common, After his hitch with the Texas HP, he retired from the military.

Keeping this within my ‘word count guidelines,’ I will tell you about Dallas (USMC), Dan(USN) and Sonny(family) tomorrow, in part 2

Back in the 50's boys (some girls) would fight. A bloody nose usually ended it. I can remember actually shaking hands and forgetting the cause, at times.

Nite Shipslog

PS: My Sherry actually got a bloody nose once, and still remembers it.

8 comments:

NanaDiana said...

LOL- I was never a fighter..but one of the really important men in my life was a fighter. Sadly, he is disabled now and lives in an assisted living facility. I never knew him to lose a fight.
It is fun to look back on old friends and times. Hugs- Diana

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm sure your friends were every bit as much loved as those Sherry had. It's wonderful to have friends to share life with. I have had lots of friends over the years, but not all of them stayed in my life long at all. The good friends I have now I met because our kids were involved. I've know them a long time now and we love to get together and talk over old times.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

It's so good to keep in touch with friends over the years. True happiness consists not in the multitude of friends but in their worth and choice.

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

Yes! ... what Victor said! This is a terrific idea for a post; you've got me thinking. Unfortunately, my 2 oldest friends have evolved into mere acquaintances -- separated both by distance and politics. There were a few bosses who left footprints on my heart. Maybe I'll write about them someday.

Chatty Crone said...

Jacak - I think it is awesome you still have your friends and remember - I have a few myself.

Lisa said...

I’m ashamed to say “I would punch someone in a heartbeat when I was in high school”. I was pushed around and bullied in middle school and once I got to high school I wouldn't take any crap. Most of the girls I got into fights with ended up being friends later.

That a photo of three nice looking fellas there.
It’s nice to have long time friends.
Lisa

betty said...

Friends sure bring to our lives the spice of life! Glad you had such great ones in your life, Jack and Sherry, and some of those friendships continue to this day!

betty

Dar said...

It truly is wonderful to have lifelong friends...it's ' home ' feeling.
I feel I know your buddies, as you've told many a story about them. It's so wonderful. Most of my long time friends are like Sherry's, ~ from our school and younger days. God has been so good, hasn't He.
loven'hugs from up north where we woke to a chilling 25 this morning. It's toasty in the house with the wood fire. Have another great day.~