Saturday, February 11, 2012

Made in the Shade

Remember when everything was going well, you  had it ‘made in the shade!’

29322u.preview

Merle Haggard put out a song many years ago that I adapted as my song. “Shade Tree Fix it Man”, it seemed to fit because I am pretty lucky about fixing stuff.

Electronics are very well constructed now. How often do you drop your phone and wonder it it will work? Most of the time it does. Our camera has been dropped a couple times  bending the nose. I just straighten it and push it in, works.

Some folks remember back when tubes were in radios and even TV’s. If it wasn’t working right you could give it a good slap and it started working. What you had accomplished with the slap was jarring a connection or tube to make better connection.

Once in church the Organ quit working, I walked up and slapped it, and it started. I got an ovation for that.  The preacher said DO NOT try that on your wife!! (I didn’t ask if he was speaking from experience! LOL)

If you  ever saw ‘Ma and Pa Kettle’, when they were listening to the radio and it quit, he would bounce his chair on the floor, and jar the radio into playing.

Having been around electronics since 1956, I am amazed at the reliability of electronics today. They are no installing the monitor screens in those little cold rooms, you know, the ones you go into, get undressed and wait, and wait and wait on the Dr.  Now they are cutting down on the wait some places, you won’t even see him personally, he will only be on the monitor. Your nurse or the assistant will hook up wires so he can see you and all your vitals; and discuss your problems.

Not going to be too personal.

Thanks for coming by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Observations on Growing Older

***** Everybody whispers.
***** Now that your mate has retired, you'd give anything if they’d find a job.
***** You have three sizes of clothes in your closet, two of which you will never wear again.
***** But old is good in some things -- old songs, old movies,
and best of all -- old friends!

*******************************************************

image0033

1919_Chevrolet_490

1919 Chevrolet, could have gassed up above.

8 comments:

Dar said...

Made in the shade...hmmm if life were all that easy. Loved the reality show here. Now, if only I could find a way to fix my nerve-endings, I would have it made in the shade.
That gas station is so cool. I think I would have been very happy staying way back in those days. Love the Chevy too., of course. New friends is good too!, specially when they're as sweet as you two. Loveya, Missya, Hugya, Kissya Both
BlessYourHearts

Louis la Vache said...

You know «Louis» well enough by now to know he enjoyed seeing the old gas station and the 1919 Chevy.
;-D

Paula said...

Yeah the phone will work unless a cow stepped on it and pushed it into the dirt. I like those old sayings and still use them some time.

Anonymous said...

my uncle was a Texaco man...had a service station in VA Beach, VA.

Everybody else whispers and I talk louder...LOL
Don could stay home every day all day long if he was here
I recycled the extra sizes when I finally lost weight...that way there's no going back
and everything that goes around comes around
especially old friends

yeah it was pretty neat when you could could just give an appliance a smack and it'd work...same with kids ;-)

probably going to digital docs cause there aren't enough going to med school

"made in the shade" now theres a "cool" memory

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVE all the vintage photos. I remember when I had it 'Made in the Shade." I was a kid. LOL Had to chuckle over your method of fixing things. I have an old mouse for my computer that keeps giving me fits. When it stops working I give it a good smack on my table. Then it starts again. My husband screams at me NOT to do it. LOL The day a doctor doesn't see me, except on a computer screen and I have to pay for it... I'll charge for PAY FOR VIEW. Take care.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I remember that saying very well and it always makes me think of a hot summer day when it feels so good to sit in the shade. None of that here for sure as we are back to our regular type of winter with lots of snow and freezing cold temps. It's about 24 degrees here this morning. Hope you both have a wonderful Sunday!

Rose said...

I used to "Have it made in the Shade". Brought back some fond memories too.

I still have one older TV with that tube back and it still works great! LOL It has to be replaced soon but that means I have to get rid of the entertainment center too as the square box in it won't fit the new wider TVs......Ugh...of course that means more money!

Now, if I were still living in Boston, I know my talented brother-in-law would be able to convert this entertainment center to accommodate the newer style TVs. He is quite the carpenter like you!

Hugs, Rose

shirl72 said...

We didn't know it back then but
we all had it made in the Shade.
Love the good ole days. We live
at a fast pace today. Love anything that is ole.

Shirl