Friday, October 26, 2012

This and that since we returned to NC from the Northeast.

First off, Smoky and Shirl took is out to dinner. We did not take a picture of the Steak and Salmon, they took us to the  Wood Shed, in Stanley, NC, the meal was delicious.

005

I have been playing in my storage building. I think I now have an office, and I don’t know why:

Workshop2 003

Then there was the toy box that needed work:

Workshop 005

I forget to do ‘befores’, sorry. I built it for Reece in 1985, now I have added Stella to the box.

Workshop 004

I also dug out all the pictures and awards over the years and hung them up. I could not see them staying packed up.

damage and love leters 003

To repair the dresser, I cut 4” off the entire bottom and replaced it.

Workshop2 001

damage and love leters 001

the Chest of drawers I again cut 4” off the bottom. the drawer handles were hardest to repair, being oak insert made especially for this furniture by Broyhill.

Workshop2 007

The China hutch was a piece of cake. I used Old English polish, my mentor Luke Tucker taught me that. Funny years later they named it scratch hide. Luke knew that in the 1950’s.

Workshop2 002

I love this wooden anchor and wooden chain, given us by my Sister Kat.

Workshop2 023

Sherry laughs when she said this was their air conditioner when she was growing up. a seat fan.

Workshop2 013

She said she would sit on it and spread  her skirt around it and cool off. I pulled it apart, cleaned and oiled the motor, changed the pig tail ( electric wire), waxed it and it works as good as new.

I spread the pictures around the walls:

Workshop2 004Workshop2 006Workshop2 009Workshop2 010Workshop2 011

Workshop2 014

Some of Shirl’s handiwork above. She done this for all the siblings.  Our family.

Workshop2 018Workshop2 019

One of our GITMO tags and a family pic when I had hair and a dark beard.

Workshop2 021

Above, a little worse for the wear is Sherry’s mama in a frame built by her Brother Vernon. He inlaid walnuts into the frame, neat.

Thanks for coming this way.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

You never appreciate your memories, good and bad, until you know someone who has no memory, they don’t know you, and you have been their friend for years.

“”””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””

futureisticvan

This might have been born a VW!

Three more:

TerrificMA28841717-0029

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Very nice office! Love the family pics!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You have one of the nicest storage buildings I've ever seen. It works very well for an office too. The furniture looks brand new now. You did an excellent rehab on them. Looks like you've had some busy busy days there. It's raining and getting colder here today. Hope your Friday is a fantastic one!

Chatty Crone said...

Your storage unit is your second home. Gosh you actually took the time to fix everything. Lucky Sherry.

betty said...

You've been busy since you have been in NC!! Lots of good projects you were able to accomplish! I like your office and all the pictures on the wall; I'm sure it does feel so much like home in there!

betty

Paula said...

Everyone needs an office and I like your's. You did a good job on fixing the furniture too.

shirl72 said...

Good job on the furniture. Now
that is done when you decide to
settle down...HAHAHA

Nice to have a place you can call
your office. Maybe we can start
a Consultant Firm. hee hee


















Rose said...

You amaze me with your many talents.

I love that toy chest and all the wonderful repairs you have done to make furniture look brand new again!

Nice Office! But then again, I wouldn't expect anything less from a man like you! Kudos!

Hugs to my favorite couple!

Ken Riches said...

Very productive and handy...