Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Do you get it?

The flying Car:

 
Will flying cars become common place?  I thought so a one time.

For today:

An angel appears at a faculty meeting and tells the dean that in return for his unselfish and exemplary behavior, the Lord will reward him with his choice of infinite wealth, infinite wisdom, or infinite beauty.

Without hesitating, the dean selects infinite wisdom.

“Done!” says the angel, and disappears in a cloud of smoke and a bolt of lightning.

Now, all heads turn toward the dean, who sits surrounded by a faint halo of light. At length, one of his colleagues whispers,

“Say something.”

The dean sighs and says, “I should have taken the money.”

Do you get it? I sat after reading that joke and it finally hit me. That New Wisdom told the dean, wisdom is personal. Because in reality it is hard to get someone to listen.  With infinite wealth he could build colleges and spread intelligence.

 

I know it is a joke and not reality!

BUT, but have you ever been very good at some trade, hobby, personal skill, etc. and try to honestly impart that knowledge to someone who ‘Already knows everything?’

Like Sherry, I know some of you that have ‘typed’ at your jobs; you probably remember when a few documents you typed could contain NO ‘corrections,’ i.e. no correction tape nor white-out. I cannot imagine being THAT GOOD on a typewriter. When I first started dealing with attorneys an error on a document meant 30 minutes while it was retyped. Typists today have no idea what a GOD_SENT word processors are.

(I really did not search these files often, but I did do it.)

Our attorney now, Vickie Whit-----, will ask, “Do I need to add another name to the deed or document if so, it will only take a second.”  We have made changes and never delayed a closing. Not to mention printing it in as many colors as you like!!!

Actually the word processor IS Amazing, at least for those who remember typewriters WITH the carbon paper, correction paper and that all important WHITE-OUT. I have known clerks who had to type 4 pages with carbon between and fix errors on all copies

At times we sorta forget that some science is ALMOST a miracle.



But THE REAL Miracle was over 2000 years ago and lay in a manger.

                 Merry Christmastime

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Vickie is an amazing attorney. She is wise and witty. Her ‘closings’ were never a drag nor boring. I once asked her if I could bring Granddaughter Sherece to a closing so she could see a ‘FEMALE’ at work at a profession. I did and Sherece even enjoyed the closing. Sherece has followed in her mother’s footsteps and is doing well in import/export.


5 comments:

betty said...

Word processors and software on the computer to correct mistakes are a godsend!! Having to retype things several times to get no corrections is no fun! So convenient these days with just being able to cut and paste things together or add in. Makes things much less difficult and more efficient!

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

But THE REAL Miracle was over 2000 years ago and lay in a manger.

Thank you for these very wise words, Jack. You're an inspiration and a good example.

Best wishes to you, Sherry and the family.

God bless always. Merry Christmas.

Lisa said...

I remember the old typewriters and the typing classes required. I am so thankful now for todays technology to be able to just hit the “back space” button to fix a typo. Three year olds can type on a computer now better than I could type on a typewriter in high school. They do not have typing classes anymore but do have computer classes. Kids go in knowing how to use them before they even start kindergarten. All this within the past 35 years,

Off to work
Lisa

Mevely317 said...

How this resonates! Yep, throughout high school I was right there in the third row of Typing class tapping out "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog." On a MANUAL typewriter. How I loathed having to make corrections, especially when carbon paper was involved. But you know? That was normal; maybe it made me a better typist? Never could have imagined the ease of computer word processing. Ya, Life is GOOD.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes, science has brought about some wonderful miracles. I do remember making corrections before the days of the word processor and now the computer. I always worked in offices. They made my work much easier, but then they only added more work for me to do.