Saturday, December 25, 2021

The early residents of this planet MESSED US UP, and I am MAD

Memorable transport from The Past:

        

For today:

Early History recorded in the Book of Genesis tells of people wanting to get to heaven, sooo they decided to build a tower to heaven. Let me suggest, I know better, but let’s say every one spoke English. 

                   

The Creator was upset, SO HE messed with their language. They had to stop building because someone was supposed to cut the blocks ½ cubic and they came out 1 cubic, etc... They could not understand each other.

Therefore there are close to 7,000 languages. One language, Busuu, is a language that only 8 people can still speak. I am writing this because someone from Cambodia commented here. I know it is someone wanting me to read their blog, so I TRIED. This is a small clip. I can see 8 words in English. (could not get translate to work)

តាម Guardian ក្លឹប Everton គ្រោងនឹងធ្វើការព្យាយាមជាលើកទីបីដើម្បីចុះហត្ថលេខាលើខ្សែការពារ Nathan Patterson របស់ Rangers ដែល Aston Villa ចាប់អារម្មណ៍ផងដែរ។ ជាការប្រសើរណាស់ Everton បានធ្វើការដេញថ្លៃ

I am asking myself what must an Arabic keyboard look like? Well (this one translates, maybe):

                              (Now, how do I type jack?)

So now if those foolish folks hadn’t messed up stuff and started the metric system  ;-) over the standard system we would not have to teach a ‘foreign’ language Like Irish or Southern English or even French. (We could have still have those lovely accents)

I blame Sherry that I cannot speak French, she sat in front of me in that class and kept me distracted.  Then I tried the tapes that teach Spanish, and I was lost after I learned to count to veinte uno (21) I think. Learning a language is tough. I hear English is the toughest.

I do respect folks who are Bilingual. They amaze me.

 I do think anyone living in the USA should learn the English language. I do not expect them to become fluent in the English language, most of us here are not. I do not like getting things from Medicare or my bank in two or three languages. I think it causes those not familiar with English to be less likely to speak it. I know, I know that is a narrow minded approach. 

Let me tell you how you can appreciate bilingual people.... Be driving in the back roads in France and go into a store for a snack and have a problem being understood. Then some sweet customer lady asks, “Sir I lived in London for a few years, may I help? AHHHHH such a relief.

Or in Mexico when Sherry and I tried to order lunch, TOUGH…… My sweet dentist happens to enter the café, sees our situation and orders for us.

Yep at those types of moments is when it is YOU, then you can appreciate the problems with someone new and legally in the USA, trying to get by.

NiteShipslog

PS: I am not a historian nor Bible Scholar so I write opinions not proven facts...... (Clarifier) ;-)

7 comments:

Glenda said...

TRUTH!!! The Hispanics and Cubans who do yardwork, etc around here know some English. My favorite came here from Havana and only knew one English phrase. He served in the military there and then became a policeman. His only words were "MOVE it". I'm guessing it was because of English only guests who parked in the wrong spot!!! He and his wife both went to night school at IRSC, and he caught on rapidly and in one year was completely conversant. His wife, with a Masters degree in finance, is still mostly speaking their language. I attempted French with cds etc before a trip to Paris, years ago when my brain worked, never mastered it. Some of us do, some don't!!! Great post, Jack!

betty said...

I'm with you Jack. If someone wants to live in this country, they should have a basic understanding of the English language. What surprises me are several generations of people from other countries who have migrated here and none have learned English. But then, like I said before, my grandparents came from Poland and they didn't learn too much English and lived in the States for over 50 years before they passed, raising 10 children. I do admire those who are bilingual. I see some of the schools here teaching Spanish and English together in the classes. I think that would be wise to learn from an early age and not just in high school like when I took a year of Spanish and of course can't remember too much of it :)

betty

Mevely317 said...

I'm with Betty. Call me small-minded, but if someone plans to become a resident of the U.S. (I think) they need to make an honest effort to speak our language..... not rely on the government, the school system to coddle them. I don't see it so often in Alabama, but back in Arizona I knew of several instances people could speak (and understand) English, but chose to pretend they didn't.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I wonder how much it cost to build the Tower of Babel. And why did the people of the time not use Google Translate?

God bless.

Lisa said...

I am with you on the language. I think they should be required to speak English if they live here. But instead, we offer it as a first language to them in schools, I think it puts American kids behind as the teacher has to explain courses in both languages or the student has an interpreter. If I were to move to another country, I would want to learn the language fluently and would probably try to learn it before I went there. I know a girl from India and it was required of them to learn English before they could move here. Also my husbands Italian Grandparents had to learn our language before they could do anything here in America.

I have “Translate” added to my blog so I can just click on it to translate a foreign language.
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It would be wonderful to speak another language but I still have rouble with simple English at times. I keep trying to get better.

Kampus terkemuka said...

Im really like your article