Saturday, December 11, 2021

The Five and Dime & Inflation

 Memorable car of the day:

I am sure this was painted with NORTHERN States in mind, the rest of us LOVE to see the snow





  Now for TODAY, 14 days until Christmas!

The first stores I remember were ‘The Five and Dime’ and Sears. The stores weren’t named Five and Dime but that is how folks referred to them. Much of the nickel-dime toys in my youth were made in Japan from USA beer cans. The stores were Roses, Kress, Murphy, Woolworth, Walton and many more. Locally we had Kress and Roses. What was in your area?

Strange how inflation showed itself long ago, before they disappeared they were just Dime Stores. I wonder what they were called in other countries. Now it is dollar stores and most of the products are made in China.

With so much inflation the Stores will soon be Dollar-Dime Stores!

The other store I remember is Sears & Roebuck. I was seldom there, mostly it was mail order.

OK it is Christmas-time. I cannot help it but my mind goes back to some of the presents I received. Most kids got one present, and that was from their parents. I can remember when boys thought of bicycles, balls and gloves. My sister thought of Dolls, doll houses and candy.

Mama would help Shirley and I get a gift for each other. What did you dream of for Christmas?

When I was 13 I began to think of Sherry as my Christmas present, but I didn’t know that was her name back then. LOL  She probably dreamed of Rock Hudson or Cary Grant because Elvis wasn’t known when she was 13!

Merry Christmastime.

 Nite Shipslog

6 comments:

Mevely317 said...

What a great scene, that old red car and the tree. Ahhhhh!
Yes, I remember we calling them '5-and-Dime' stores. There may have been a baby doll I longed for, but mostly, I was into plastic horses.
We weren't lucky enough to have one in Los Alamos, but Santa Fe's was a Woolworth. I don't remember him ever going there, but he used to rave about their breakfasts.

Susan Kane said...

Good memories! 5 and dime, Ben Franklin, Sears, Montgomery Ward, ---we remember them all. A day or two before Christmas Dad would give us each $5 and we would run to the 5 & 10 store, scour it thoroughly. The most important gift was to my mother.

betty said...

I heard some Dollar Stores are raising their prices to $1.50 per item. They almost have to with inflation!! We had Woolworth's when I was growing up. Sound great times walking through the store looking at all the things available to buy. Now so many of the stores from our youth are no longer in existence!

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a cheerful and wonderful post today. Thanx Jack for taking the time and for all the colourful text too.

Over here in the UK we had Woolworth. Now we have Poundland - like your Dollar Store I guess.

Once I asked Santa for a live unicorn as a present. I did not get one because he could not get him down the chimney.

God bless you and Sherry.

Lisa said...

I am in my 50’s and can remember some old stores that are not around here anymore. I remember Niclols, Sears, Winn Dixie, Radio Shack, RichWay (now target), and Eckard Drugs with the soda shop. Those were the good ol days.
Though most of our toys were probably from the five and dime stores, Christmas was so much fun and we did not care or put a price on anything we got.

Happy Sunday
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We had a Woolworth store here and I loved shopping there. It ws one place I could buy a gift for the whole family. Yes, everything is going up and very litle can be had for less than a dollar. Even penny candy is more expensive. We are having some sunshine today, no snow and it looks like next will be warmer too.