Tuesday, December 21, 2021

This 'lie' is good

Memorable Automobiles from The Past:

 Rose, blogger now gone, sent me this '41 Mercury shot. Long ago..

I miss Rose and her New England 'accent.'

For today:

For some reason, probably because I did not really study in English Class, but I am not too good at Scrabble.  But when I misspell a word, at times I smile at the difference one letter makes.

What typing I do is self-taught. I was forced to learn in the USAF when I was assigned to the MARS Network (Military Auxiliary Radio System).  Most folks have never heard of it. But it is a part of the ‘Ham Radio’ Emergency system in the world. It was set up long before satellite communications to keep communications intact during national emergencies and hurricanes etc.

Anyway I misspell or skip letters in words. Therefore the title of this entry. 'Lie'is good! Just yesterday as I often do, I ended my comment with “Lie is Good!” then noticed the BIG difference one letter makes. Of course it should be “LIFE is good” and most folks would have caught it.

There are comment corrections sent and received that say, “I meant to say “DID NOT” rather than DID.”

(Gotta love Lily)

So I am not the only one that drops words when in a hurry typing. The spell check does not correct words that are spelled correctly but used wrong. (It does however get its and it’s) I do have a program for writers that ‘tries’ to ID any misused words, but it is NOT fool proof. (I cannot remember the name of the APP now.)

Example: Above I noticed I had typed ‘drips’ when I meant ‘drops’ just above this.

I remember an old saying “What a difference a day makes!”  Now I am thinking with this blog entry, “What a difference a letter makes!”

Lately I am typing ‘out’ when I mean ‘our’, I catch it a lot, but I am sure I miss some.

Do you have any specific ‘recurring errors’ typing?

NiteShipslog

PS ..... YA, RIGHT!


4 comments:

betty said...

So true what a difference a letter can make! When I was typing medical reports, I often had trouble with the simple word "the". I typed it a lot "teh." I do like that spell check lets us know if we blatantly have a wrong spelling, but I think we need grammar check too to make sure we have typed what we mean :)

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I know how you feel. I always missspell my surname. Have to look it up on the back of my shirt to spell it korrectly.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I din't catch your mistake. I do the same thing all the time. Leaving out letters or typing the wrong one. I just try to ready between the lines and adapt to what I'm reading more than not. Usually I get the right meaning. Our words are important and its important to convey the right meaning. They do make a big difference.

Mevely317 said...

Like Ma said, I do this all the time. ... Then get so cross with myself. I can't think of any specifics, but what's funny, I think everyone knows what I MEANT to say.

At least, I don't think Blogger doesn't have auto-correct. One of my favorite memes goes: "It helps if you imagine auto correct as a tiny little elf in your phone who's trying so hard to be helpful but is in fact quite drunk."