Friday, April 24, 2015

I miss some things

Getting older I start missing my youth. Having the strength to lift a 3/4 piece of plywood, carry 6 or 8 2x4 studs without feeling awkward. Most of my thoughts go to building. I can still move a heavy piece of plywood, but by using leverage and some ingenuity, not strength.

I can still work 8-10 hours a day, but I do not produce as much, I miss showing off, LOL.

I am finishing up my lean-to storage. It has been fun, I actually still enjoy the physical labor. I remember  my friend Tuck and a barn raising on his farm near Morven NC. We drove a lot of large stakes to use to pull the huge trusses up and into place. I worked with Mr. Adcock (Tuck’s father in law), he was OLD, near 70 (LOL). He could swing a sledge about as well as I could, and I was in my 50’s.

I remember him saying, “I like this, it makes me feel good and useful.”

I think of that, Now I am much older, building this little lean-to, makes me feel useful. LOL

I am appreciative of good health, and the ability to still do a pretty good days work at 76. I do not take it for granted, I realize some of my close friends can not do much physical labor, yep, God has been better to me than I ever deserved.

Leaving the hearing doctor today, just as deaf as when I entered the hospital, I told Sherry I am still the luckiest guy in the world. Our lives are good, she is able to walk a couple miles a day with my sister Shirl, and I am able to work.

And,  We have been very successful for no more education than we had, then I added, we are successful because we worked together, stayed together and played together.  Now we travel together. It has been over 58 years with this girl and over all it has been wonderful. Of course I would change some of the stupid things I have done over the years if I could,( we men can be exasperating at times), but we don’t dwell on that.

Enough, I am tired.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

If you have found a job you love or if you have found that perfect mate, you my friend are blessed.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<V>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

These cars were just born when I met my LOVE! 1954

1954 packard carribean Super Chief 1954%20Buick%20Skylark%20Convertible 1954 OLDSMOBILE ROCKET F88 1954 FORD LA TOSCA 1954_Mercury_Sun_Valley_blue-e 1954 Ford Fairlane Sedan 1954 Buick Wildcat ii 1954 Dodge Fire Arrow   1954_Plymouth_Belmont,_rearV 1954_Pontiac_Strato_Streak_image-e1271870263722 1954_Hudson_Jet_Liner_4d_sdn_-_fvr 1954BuickSkylark-bBut 1954nomad 1954HudsonItalia-a4   1954NashMetropolitanConvertible-a 1954PackardPanther  1954KaiserManhattan-Eric-a

6 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Boy, I can sure recall referring to some young people as, "old." Funny, how one's perspective changes depending on what side of 60 you're sitting!

Glad to see you're having an enjoyable time working on the lean-to. After seeing your earlier post (I peeked while at work), I was trying not to grow concerned!

Hope Mark's mouth is doing lots better!

shirl72 said...

I have learned a new word..lean to
that is funny..Glad you are having
fun. I am beginning to feel my age after working in the yard. I was also real tired today when I came home from my volunteer job. I better get use to getting older I am there.
Thankful I bless with good health.

betty said...

All cool looking cars from the year my sister was born (I'm younger, LOL, I'm the baby :)

I was just thinking today and grateful to God the health my husband and me have. It is something as we get older than I am very appreciative of!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

Physically I have deteriorated. Can not do most of the things I used to do, like climbing a ladder as one example. And neither can my husband. You are lucky to be blessed with good health, for sure.

Paula said...

Health can be taken from you so fast or maybe it just creeps up on us and we don't realize it but we both sure miss what we used to could do.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are very blessed. It can't get much better than feel useful and loved.