Saturday, April 11, 2015

Ugly trees

4b293e48a17e5cfbeec4f06a13465ae5

Falcon in a tree,

The former owner of our house on Ewing Drive planted some cedars along the road. They are on City property to boot. They were encroaching on the road, so we hired a tree service to trim them back. I mentioned this  two years ago.

CEDARS TRIM 001 (2)

They were too tall but very green. Now two years later,

100_1261

Street side view looks like all but two are gone.

100_1262

Inside view looks green except for two DEAD ones.100_1264

Street side again Looks terrible.

Inside again  from the above angle.

  100_1263 

Note the first tree looks alive from the inside.  We cannot decide what to do, except my girl says, they have got to go!

These cedars have a trunk of 12” That is a lot of trees to get rid of.

I trimmed them a little yesterday, smelt like Christmas. LOL

Any suggestions. If I cut them down to the ground will they grow back? 

Nite Shipslog.

PS:

Just trimming them cost pretty close to $1000, I am afraid to ask about cutting and hauling them off.  LOL

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<V>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The theme of CArs and Trees

3325040818_67ef61dcc6 - Copy 5420711678_1442dc442a - Copy CAR-IN-TREE - Copy cartree Tree_7x5 tree-500x330 tumblr_mmldr5Khq61qbeln5o1_400

6 comments:

Mevely317 said...

A few months back a random wind storm sent our curb-side tree crashing into the street. It was obviously too large for Tom and the neighbor to handle, and I was (unpleasantly) surprised what an emergency tree service wanted to come haul it away. We've 2 over-zealous Cypress trees in the back we need to have trimmed before monsoon season. Seems such a waste of $$$, but I don't want to face the consequences were they to fall into our neighbors rooftop!

Love the falcon in a tree!

shirl72 said...

When we plant things we are not aware of have they become a problem for others later. I would cut them about 20in. You can tell if they are still alive and will come back..
That is a big job...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is a big job for sure. Expensive and labor intensive. I'd go with cutting them back but then if there are dead ones, it wouldn't look quite right either. One of the houses we lived in years ago had a row of hedges along the fence that really made it look nice but it there was always trimming to do. The people that lived there after us took them all out cause they didn't want the bother. You'll have to let us know what you finally decide and take pictures too.

Paula said...

Trees are beautiful but can be so expensive. I've always wished I had one of the pretty very large live oak trees we have in the area but I'm sure when a limb needed trimming I would be shocked at the price.

betty said...

LOL with the falcon in the tree :)
I wonder why just a few trees died and not all of them. (Makes you wish you could stop former owners from doing things to homes you're going to have to take care of down the road, LOL. Hubby's parents' house that we lived in/he inherited had a cement planter box in the front that spanned two of the bedrooms (so probably 20 feet at least?) and about 4 feet high and about 2 feet wide. It was filled with dirt; hubby's parents had put palm tree shrubs in them as a planter box.

Because of the design of the planter box when it rained it never really drained and water would seep into the house, to those two bedrooms, the carpets got wet. Hubby was afraid there was going to be mold in the wood but thankfully there wasn't.

We are fixing up the house to sell it so the guy doing the work and hubby agreed the planter box should come out because if there was mold it would never pass a house inspection. The guy took it out, 10,000 pounds of dirt and 6,000 pounds of concrete they hauled away to the dump. Hubby's parents didn't put that in, but the people beforehand. It was the only planter box on the street so we're thinking for whatever reason they wanted one. I'm not sure how much it cost to take it out but from the pictures I saw, it looks so much better without the planter box there, and like I said no mold.

Of course this has nothing to do with your problem with the trees, but thought you would enjoy the story since you are a home builder.

Good luck with what you decide to do with the trees! I am clueless on what to do :)

betty

Jean said...

If they're on the city property they might come and cut them down for you. I would like to have some pine trees in our yard cut down, but as you say it's expensive. I called a man a few months back about cutting them down and he waited so long in getting back with me I had changed my mind. Good luck with whatever you do. Take care. Jean