Thursday, January 18, 2018

What makes me ME



Historical Picture:

 Hard to think that this picture is an antique!      Now the little boy is! 


This entry is about ME!
I discovered America January 17, 1939. Three days after my dad, ‘ats what he said.. (Since he was born January 14th but in 1903)

Mama said I liked sweet potatoes in the middle of the night as a baby. I was not inside a restaurant until I was 7 or 8 years old. There was no such thing as fast food.
As a child one of the most interesting sights I remember was seeing squirrels walking power lines in a town.

I remember mama talking about Pearl Harbor. I remember seeing my brothers in their ‘sailor suits’. They were my heroes. I learned what rationing was. I remember our town went ‘CRAZY’ at the end of the war.

I remember Ice Cream sold from the back of a horse and wagon once. I remember Tony’s Ice cream in a truck the next year. I liked grape, then GRADUATED to Butter Pecan.

I played the trumpet, I thought I was as good as Satchmo, most trumpet players lied to themselves. LOL

I loved cars. I liked motorcycles. I loved dogs. I liked Sunday School, I did not like regular church. I had some very good friends. I loved to make and fly kites. I was pretty good with a slingshot. I was a good shot with the BB gun. I made two or three 22 caliber pistols from Benjamin Pumps. I had to cut half the lead off the bullet for it to squeeze it thru the BB barrel.

I liked nickel cokes and salted peanuts.

I was too good at school work, I didn’t have to study to pass tests or grades. I only made one C in my life, (Sherry’s fault), we happened to share a French class together. Being too good, you become lazy and do not study and learn.

I always wanted a uniform. I tried to enlist underage. I did enlist at 17 (married the most beautiful girl in the world that year too!) Imma lucky dog!

We made two great sons. My part was fun, her part was a ‘little’ harder, and much longer.

I had too many jobs to count. Life for me has always been good. (OR THE GOOD OVERSHADOWED THE BAD so the good is easier to remember.) WE have.. lived out of a car, in a van, in new houses and a mansion (to us). WE still have some of those houses, but prefer this motor home. She and I, as close as possible.

Yesterday I reached 79 years. I offered to be 85, But Sherry won’t let me.

WE ate with friends at Ruby Tuesdays. This couple has brought a lot of joy to our lives since 1956. Dallas and Marion Fletcher (Featured in most of my books).

(I am 5’8”, 156 lbs., bald, deaf (I hear with Implants) HS drop out, some college, HS & College GED, speak only one language.

I wish I was 145 lbs, had a college degree, had paid attention in English and spoke 2 languages…..  To make up for that plus-some I have been married to a girl who is as cute as a button for over 61 years.!  

 That is me and it took too long to say it. Sorry bout that.

Nite Shipslog

PS: Friend Buddy sent me some good advice and a little sarcasm…
Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together. (This sworn to, by son Jack Jr.)
***    ***    ***    ***
 Jean Harlow and her Caddy.

6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I love, love, love your stories - so do not apologize. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! I love the top picture. I have never heard of grape ice cream. I wish I had some things too - but it is what it is and I have made the best of it - I hope! lol
sandie

Mevely317 said...

I don't think you took 'too long' at all ... in fact, I was sort of disappointed when you concluded.
Cutest bio I've read in a long time!
Yes, butter pecan rules!

Paula said...

I can relate to some of this. I remember the first time I went to a restaurant. I didn't like it at all and now I like them very well. Glad your birthday was a nice one and I wish you many more and keep the memories coming.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Birthday ! Glad to meet you in that intro of yourself. Although I already knew a lot of it through previous posts. It's great you had friends to celebrate with! Happy Birthday ♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday to you♥ ♥ ♥

Woody said...

Enjoyed the Post about Mr. Jack Darnell, it was not a long post by any means, it was Interesting.
I had someone tell me once that I took too many Pictures and my sweet Anna Mae took too many pictures of me, Well, after I am gone I hope there are some pictures floating around of me, I have given my family some and I posted some in my random blog posts and on facebook, On Face Book they will never be gone as they are kept forever.
I hope that after I am gone that every now and then someone will see a picture of me, or hear my name spoken and think well of me. My Dad always said that as long as there is one person alive who remembers you or your name you will never be forgotten, Glad your Birthday was a good one Jack, Wishing you many more! Take Care with warmest regards from the frozen North, Gary

TARYTERRE said...

a nice mini biography.