Thursday, March 22, 2018

Arizona, More than the OK Corral!


 Historical Photo:
                    Geronimo, The Apache!

Arizona, I was looking forward to the Grand Canyon, I was not disappointed. I could not imagine the enormity of that canyon. I stood looking down at a mountain springing up from the canyon to a mile high. As high as the highest mountain in North Carolina. 

 Sherry, Colette and Sonny on the trail down into the Canyon.
 Sonny and Colette on the rim.

We visited the huge crater created by a meteor. Then we touched and gazed at huge petrified trees. Trying to imagine how this happened.
 
Of course we visited Tombstone and read the history of the Earp’s, Doc Holiday and the ‘cowboys.’ We did see the reenactment of the ‘OK Corral.’ Imma tell you I loved Tombstone and its history.

 Down next to the Mexican Border There is a state park with an undeveloped cave you can go in and with your own flash light can see what it was like when the Indians and Spanish lived inside. We had to crawl into the entrance. Let me tell you it is pitch black with the flash light off.

 
Arizona is very interesting due to the huge differences. From south to north. We once awoke with snow on the ground? I said to Sherry, “I sure didn’t know it snowed in Arizona!”
 

Nite Shipslog


 Taken from Packardman's Blog!
Arizona Facts:
1.  Arizona is a right-to-work state. The law states no person shall be denied the opportunity to obtain or retain employment because of non-membership in a labor organization.
2.  The saguaro cactus blossom is the official state flower. The white flower blooms on the tips of the saguaro cactus during May and June. The saguaro is the largest American cactus.
3.  Arizona leads the nation in copper production.
4.  Petrified wood is the official state fossil. Most petrified wood comes from the Petrified Forest in northeastern Arizona.
5.  Turquoise is the official state gemstone. The blue-green stone has a somewhat waxy surface and can be found throughout the state.
***    ***    ***    ***

6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I have gone to the Gran Canyon - I think the thing I remember feeling is how small I felt in this world and thinking about how big God was.

I like typewriting and driving....

sandie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have never been to the grand canyon, but enjoyed your pictures. What a awesome sight to see. It's always nice to learn about the States that make up our great country. We do seem to have a little bit of everything!
Thank you for your pictures and the info. I'm so glad you are back from that break!

Dar said...

Oh the Grand Canyon and how I'd love to see and feel it's grandness. A mile deep is quite the tribute to AZ. The cave is awesome. Andy has a light that would show it off...he loved climbing through the narrow passes in MS. Was that Jack Earp in the OK Corral snapshot? love it. I cannot leave without mentioning your honorable tribute to the troops on the front of your home on the road. Always interesting.
love n' hugs from up north where we are busy making firewood for the next two years....what a pile

Rain said...

I love your sense of humour, typewriting while driving, that made me laugh! :) Your Arizona trip to the canyon looks like a lot of fun but I don't think I could go into a cave, just a wee bit claustrophobic and paranoid about falling rocks and all that silly imagined stuff! :) Great photos!

The only thing I know about Tombstone is from watching the movie made in the 90's with Kurt Russell, which I really loved, but of course, it was "Hollywood-ized"!! :)

Lisa said...

The Grand Canyon is one place I have no desire to visit. Or Niagra Falls. Not sure why. I think it may be the cliffs. Im not sure, Ive never been there. AND I sure never thougth snow would be in Arizona.

Love from over here
Lisa

TARYTERRE said...

another place my daughter has lived in . arizona. she must be following you around. LOL breathtaking views there.