Saturday, March 31, 2018

That mile high state!


Historical Photo:
 Colorado hunters on Williams fork

The Centennial State, split by the Rockies has Denver as the capitol, located on the eastern side. Driving, it seems you will never reach the Rockies which you see about from the time you enter the state from the East. There is plenty of beautiful flat farm land on the eastern side of the state, but once you get to the foot hills of the Rockies you have so many beautiful mountain views.

 (The 13th step is engraved as One Mile High)



"Beulah red" is the name of the red marble that gives the Colorado State Capitol its distinctive splendor. Cutting, polishing, and installing the marble in the Capitol took six years, from 1894 to 1900. “All” of the "Beulah red" marble IN THE WORLD went into the Capitol. It cannot be replaced, at any price. That dome is real gold-leaf.



Most of our stopping time was in the Denver and Colorado Springs area. Reaching Pike’s Peak was high on our list. At 14,110 feet above sea level over 400,000 people ascend Pikes Peak each year.
We have reached the peak driving and taking the cog train, I prefer the train.  The drive is beautiful, but the altitude change is pretty fast, and it did bother me a little. 

             (An accidental parade)



We love it when we accidentally drive into a town with a festival or parade. Once we drove down to Pueblo, and lo and behold the parade was just starting. I love a parade.







The USAF Academy is near Colorado Springs. We camped on base. The Chapel there has been a wonder since it was built. The appearance is deceptive. This building is huge. If I remember right there are 7 separate churches within the edifice.  I was once in this flying club, but was never in this area.
 
Nite Shipslog
***The world's largest flat-top mountain is in Grand Mesa.

***In Fruita, the town folk celebrate 'Mike the Headless Chicken Day'. Seems that a farmer named L.A. Olsen cut off Mike's head on September 10, 1945 in anticipation of a chicken dinner - and Mike lived for another 4 years without a head. 
(I report what I read or am told, LOL),


***Denver, lays claim to the invention of the cheeseburger. The trademark for the name Cheeseburger was awarded in 1935 to Louis Ballast.
***The highest paved road in North America is the Road to Mt. Evans off of I-70 from Idaho Springs. The Road climbs up to 14,258 Ft. above sea level.
***Colorado means “colored red” and is known as the “Centennial State.”

This  is a 1941 Mercury, sent to me by Rose, before she left Blogland.

 

7 comments:

Glenda said...

Great shot of Jack and Mark at the summit, one summer when I was covering an office in Salina, Ks I did a Memorial Day weekend trip over to Colorado Springs. [I rode the little train up Pikes Peak]. Beautiful views.
The State Capitol building is beautiful, interesting info, especially regarding the red marble ~ really is a pretty stairway.
Happy Easter to you and yours...Glenda

Rick Watson said...

I went to a training class in Colorado several years ago. We had time to explore. It was beautiful. We flew into Denver.

Chatty Crone said...

I went to Denver on a fam trip at UAL - in the winter to go skiing. I wish I could have seen this. We have pink marble in Jasper and our Capital has gold leaf on it too - here in GA.

Those were your two boys? Do they like traveling like you do?

That top photo - I could take that for a day and then want to come home.

I am going to sent this post to my hubs - he is in love with flying and will enjoy the photos.

You and Sherry have a blessed Easter. sandie

Mevely317 said...

I've a real soft-spot in my heart for the Centennial State! Almost every Thanksgiving weekend (I can recall), my parents would hit the road for Denver. We'd stay in a nice hotel - one whose restaurant allowed for anything EXCEPT turkey dinner! On the drive up, we'd each vie to see who could spot the spires of the Air Force Academy first. What a sight! Pity, we never got to see it up close and personal.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Wonderful pictures of Colorado. The only thing I really remembered about it was Pikes Peak. I've never been a fan of heights of any kind, but I'm glad you got to see it and share the photos, it's the only way I'd ever see it. It's a chilly Easter Sunday here in Ohio with temps in mid 30's. Hope you are warmer there and enjoying a beautiful Easter Day !

Paula said...

Happy Easter to you and Sherry. We're opting to stay home and eat barbeque our neighbors brought us. There was just a question about the Centennial state on one of the game shows Friday. Interesting post.

Dar said...

The boys at the Summit look so happy to be there......not so sure I could handle the air pressure...so high, I'd get a nose bleed! The clay is a wonderful color, The capital and the church are amazing. I cannot imagine the size of the chapel. Interesting facts of another state I've never seen.
love n' hugs from up north where we had a beautiful day at the farm for Easter. God Bless yours.