Friday, March 23, 2018

Monument to the Chiricahua


Historical Photo:
To be frank, I enjoyed the southern part of Arizona because it fits my image of the old west. The Nostalga just ‘dripped drops of ‘love it’.‘ One odd incident, once we were returning to our camper a few miles from Tombstone and driving past Boot Hill and thru the small town the sheriff was making his rounds in a long duster checking doors on the local businesses. It was like I immediately was transported back in my mind over a hundred years.


We camped at Fort Huachuca, home of the Buffalo Soldiers. They have a great ‘small’ museum aboard the base. Very informative.
There must be 25+ ghost towns in a 40 mile radius, from all the mines, mostly copper. We walked out to a couple and I enjoyed my mind playing with facts and fiction of ‘Ghost Towns’.


Have you ever heard of the Chiricahua Monument? I am not used to monuments being land areas. The word monument to me serves up a thought of a statue, etc. The monument is just beautiful wind and water carvings.


The Calvary chased one Indian leader and his people for years by the name of Cochise. Another area near the Chiricahua monument is also preserved as a monument, it is called ‘Cochise Strong Hold’. It was an area hidden with a small entrance easily defended. Sherry and I walked through it. Again my mind roamed back……

Wow, on the way to the Chiricahua Monument we drove through Willcox, AZ. I spotted a Rex Allen Museum, I stopped of course. I have many Cowboy Hero’s, Rex was one. He was the only Cowboy who was a real cowboy before becoming a movie star. We both loved the small museum.


 Me 'n Rex

Nite Shipslog

Arizona Facts:
1.  The ringtail is the official state mammal. The ringtail is a small fox-like animal about two and one-half feet long and is a shy, nocturnal creature.
2.  The amount of copper on the roof of the Capitol building is equivalent to 4,800,000 pennies.
3.  Arizona observes Mountain Standard Time on a year round basis. The one exception is the Navajo Nation, located in the northeast corner of the state, which observes the daylight savings time change.
4.  Arizona's most abundant mineral is copper.
5.  Bisbee, located in Tombstone Canyon, is known as the Queen of the Copper Mines. During its mining history the town was the largest city between Saint Louis and San Francisco.

A neat car sent to me by Sonya from a car show in Nashville!
***    ***    ***    ***

6 comments:

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Love the pics! Looks like some wonderful places to visit! Have a good weekend! Leticia

Lisa said...

Fun Photos! Those are some interesting facts. Now, I wonder if the ground around there has a lot of copper color in the grains of dirt? I bet it does.

Lisa

Chatty Crone said...

You and old Rex -

So it was copper mines there everyone came too - we have some gold mines here in GA abandoned.
I enjoyed this information as it is yet another place I won'gt get to.

Andy told me that underneath us are probably people and cities that existed before - do you believe that?

Paula said...

You always come up with interesting info. for your posts. Thanks for always sharing them. I've never been to Arizona although been invited by an old classmate. Won't happen now as she just moved to Temple, Texas.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is definitely one place for nostalgia. Memories of old cowboy movies come back to me just looking at those pictures. Ghost towns are a memory of happier days. Sadly the Indian wars are a part of our history too. It is beautiful country in it's own way. But I wouldn't want to live there. From all the places I've visited and seen through the pictures of others like you, I'm glad to be planted here in Ohio. I may be just slightly prejudiced.

TARYTERRE said...

love it that you got to visit some good old fashioned ghosttowns. i too am not used to monuments being land areas. The word monument to me conjures up a statue or two. nice to hear about this one.