Monday, May 24, 2021

Consumer Reports

Memorable Automobiles from The Past:

 1973 Alpha Romeo  High end Italian


For today:

Do you read consumer’s comments on products you are thinking of purchasing? I do it lots of times.  I find such a great difference in views and experiences with purchases.

I have a rule of thumb about the 1-5 stars given products.  I prefer to give credit to comments where there have been 100s of reports. A simple explanation of my approach is: If 325 people rated a product and there were 8 very low reports and 300 5 star ratings I tend to think the product is worth trying.

I am always amazed to read: “This is exactly as advertised, it operates perfectly!” While the next comment is, “I am so disappointed. It BROKE apart on the first use. I would never recommend this to anyone. It is junk!”

We all know that there are ‘lemons’ in everything from cars to shoes, so it is possible for both reports to be correct.

Case in point. I have a ‘hand truck’ for moving heavy or awkward things. A tire blew out and I just ordered one, I am a big amazon fan.

I picked what I wanted and then read the reports. There were over 2000 purchases with a 4.5 out 5 rating.  Just for fun I read the top and the bottom of the reports. They were completely opposite the lower guy saying he gave the tire a 1 because there wasn’t a zero.

Since most folks rated it high, I have ordered it.  I seldom rate what I buy mainly because I once wrote an opinion and the system came back saying there wasn’t enough words in the answer. I just didn’t appreciate being told I had to say more. LOL

Do you rate products you purchase?

Nite Shipslog.

9 comments:

Woody said...

Good Post, If I am going to buy something I "Google" it or search for reviews, If I get better than half compliments on a product I usually by it. I do the same thing traveling, I "Google" Restaurants and Motels and check Reviews. Weather haas cooled down some, 42 this morning, but will warm back up ! Are you exercising carring your Back Pack for your Trip ! Take Care, Gary an Anna Mae

betty said...

I will review/rate products/restaurants/services Jack. I'm like you, I'll read other people's reviews/ratings and pretty much can get a good feel of the product/service by what the reviews/ratings say. If a lot of people complain about the price of food versus what you get on the plate, I figure that's a valid concern about the place we might want to try out for eating, etc.

Amazon just makes it so easy to buy things from, lol :) Its a favorite of mine if I'm looking to get something new.

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I rate this Blog 5 Stars ***** - Actually 10 Stars **********

God bless.

Dar said...

I totally agree with Victor. You have always rated high with your awesome entries. I read comments but never rate except by personal opinion once I try out a purchase. Once again, another great one. ******************************
loven'hugs from up north . The sun is ' shining !' YES

jack69 said...

NOTICE: I can do nothing on Blogger at present. I use 'Reading List' to get to and comment on blogs. My system is filled BLOGGER BUZZ AND I am STUCK for awhile until I figure it out.
I apologize if I cannot comment on your blog entry today.
Jack

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do read the ratings like you do and take them into account when buying something, but I never rate my purchase mostly out of laziness. One time I didn't get my order as it shopped to the wrong address, I put in a complaint but never heard anything back. I guess someone else enjoyed my purchase and didn't return it. I like the ability to do online shopping but prefer to do the actual shopping so I can judge for myself.

Mevely317 said...

Not so much anymore, Jack. Like someone said, you can't please all the people all of the time. That was so true when I worked at the hotel; reviews were all over the spectrum. I think yours is a good approach.

PS - I know if we'd vetted this concrete guy a little better we'd have saved ourselves a lot of money and a ton of grief.

Glenda said...

Yes, Jack. Consumer reviews, reports, and opinions are important to my decision whether or not to purchase or choose a Doctor. I, also leave comments when asked. It was a pleasant surprise to receive an email from Google advising me that more than 100 people responded to my positive review of my new Doctor ~ also new to the town and taken over a retired Physician's practice. She was great, and I felt that if granted me an hour and a half [with a full waiting room] I would take time to give her kudos! I am also the first to state if there is room for improvement.
Great post, Jack! Love and hugs from Chobee, Glenda

Glenda said...

p.s. I also, agree with Victor!!!