Sunday, May 2, 2021

Hearing, playing, Learning and stuff

 Memorable Automobiles from The Past:

 1962 Chevy Impala


For today:

I must say something about hearing impaired folk.  We who cannot hear well are very frustrated with the mask wearing requirement. I am not saying that wearing a mask is stupid or unnecessary, I really do not know. I hear from folks who are trained in the area of disease spreading that it does help. WHAT I DO KNOW is that it makes it much more difficult for me to communicate!

But what I am noticing is that people who did not know they read lips have learned that they actually do use lips to help them ‘HEAR!’ I have not seen any stats of hearing aids, but I would bet that the aids sales have gone up in the past year.

Do you have a problem understanding others that wear masks?

Ok, on the lighter side but some consider it morbid. Have you ever heard that hair and nails continue to grow after death?.....

I certainly remember hearing that.  I just tried a quick research. Some say ‘maybe a little’ others say NO!  Then some say that everything else on the body shrinks after losing the moisture and the hair and nails do not, so they appear to have grown some.

I just thought that is something you just wanted to know. LOL

We here at out NC house had a great time with the family members who still live in this area.  We had Red Lobster cater it and had a great time. The great-grands' shot some hoops, walked some logs, used the swings and hit some balls into Stella’s portable batting cage.

There was one misfortune. Jack Jr and his granddaughter Rosie were in our latest swing. It is hung with new chains. One of them broke, dropping one side of the swing scaring Rosie. It cause a few tears of course, she is only three years old. The swing right beside it has hung on the same type of chains for 25 years and NEVER a problem. I was shocked to have the new chain break and felt bad for JJ and Rosie. Fortunately it was a fright mostly, not physical damage, i,e, NOT a foot or hand caught under the swing.

NiteShipslog

9 comments:

betty said...

Oh wow with the swing but hopefully no long lasting trauma resulted from it! It was great you guys were together enjoying the fellowship of family. I have trouble hearing out of my left ear at times so yes it is more challenging these days with masks, especially if someone is soft spoken.

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

It's so nice to spend time with the family. I bet the Lobster feast was fantastic. Enjoy, my friends, and make happy memories.

God bless you all.

Lisa said...

YES I do struggle understanding people with mask. My hearing is bad in just one ear but it comes and goes. I really have a problem when I have to communicate through a plastic shield and a mask. I only wear my mask at my part time retail job. They require me to or I will lose the job. At my full time job, we do not wear them and let the customers know they can strip their mask. Most are thankful for that.

Ive always heard that hair and nails grow after death but I doubt it because I feel like our bodies turn to mush after a couple weeks. I mean, have you ever seen a skeleton with a manicure?

Heading to work
Lisa

Mevely317 said...

I never thought anything was amiss with my hearing until COVID came around -- and then I caught myself asking people to repeat themselves. Thought I was the only one, until I heard some doctor on TV explaining that everyone subconsciously reads lips. We just don't realize we're doing it.

Not sure where I saw them ... FB, maybe? But someone has invented a face mask with a clear panel. Isn't that brilliant?

PS - I've become so accustom to wearing a mask, I honestly felt uncomfortable the other day at lunch -- even tho' we were seated on the patio.

Chatty Crone said...

I don't have any trouble hearing, but wearing masks does prevent me from hearing as good. My daughter gets migraines. Glad everyone was okay on the swing.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I too have had trouble understanding people speaking through masks, but never though I had a hearing problem and I have had others ask me to repeat my self as they've had trouble hearing me too. I guess we all need to speak up and be considerate of others while wearing masks. Glad no harm was done but the fright on the swing. Hope you can get the chain replaced. Kids do love to swing and so do a lot of adults. Sounds like you had a great weekend! Family are so important !

yaya said...

I know many struggle with hearing while wearing masks. Having worked in an operating room for over 40 years the mask thing is no biggie. I've had to work with surgeons who's backs are to me while working and the radio is sometimes blaring music, heart monitors, suction machines, smoke evacs, hammers and drills if doing orthopedics and other noises and we still manage to hear what's going on! Ha! It's a learned technique I think! I'm glad you were able to have a fun family gathering! Too bad about the swing but luckily no harm was done. Take care Jack!

Melanie said...

Hi Jack....and Sherrie!
JUst stoppen by to say hi and i am almost ok!


Love you guys
Melanie

Dar said...

What??? Could you repeat that, please!!! YES, I have had a very difficult time hearing with and without the mask. I guess learning to adjust to that is the new normal, at least for now with my 'already impaired' hearing. Sooo glad lil' Rosie and JJ are ok. I hope Rosie gets back on a swing., like getting bucked off a horse and getting back in the saddle again to overcome the fear.
How wonderful to have gotten together with your active family. Life is good.
loven'hugs from up north where we have an overcast day but at least it's warming up enough to do some yard work. Love you and Sherry to the moon and back.