Wednesday, May 19, 2021

FIRE

 I got my driver's license in the mid 50's, so those cars STUCK in my brain, loved this one also:

For today:

FIRE: Fre a word that brings fear and comfort. The various meanings in the English language words gets confusing. In the military the "FIRE at will," is an order to shoot/fire a weapon when the troop feels it is necessary.

FIRE, FIRE yelled in a building definitely  brings fear in many hearts.

Also a person hearing a boss say, "You are FIRED," is also not a welcome sentence.

And then there is the camp fire. A comfortable site. One of warmth. It calls for contemplation, a time to pull memories forward, some call it 'wool gathering'.  And then there are Smoores to be made and also an Ideal way to prepare a 'wiener' for eating.

Today I had a fire in the fire pit. Just watching the fire brought back a 'strong memory' from camping south of Lake Okeechobee in Florida.

I looked South from our camp sight and saw flames climbing at least 50-60 feet in the air. I saw some folks just casually walking and others smiling and looking at the fire off in a distance. 

I asked one of the passers-by, "Is that a wild fire?"

Laughing, "Your first time down mere this time of the year I guess."

"Yes it is."

They continued, "They re burning the cane fields getting ready to harvest the sugar cane.  It is done every year."

There is a berm completely surrounding Lake Okeechobee. We climbed up on the berm and watches some cane fields burn. We observed some kids at the end of one cane field. They had clubs, I learned they kids 'harvested' the rabbits as they ran from the fire. I understand they look forward to that time to get a lot of meat for their freezers.

It was interesting.

I do love a good campfire, or one down im our fire ring.

Nite Shipslog

7 comments:

betty said...

I like the new font you used for this blog post Jack! Interesting about having a fire in the cane fields before harvesting. I'll have to look that up why they do it. I do like the smell of a campfire and who can resist a s'more!

betty

Glenda said...

Jack, this is one of the most "feel good" posts [IMO] you've ever written; I love, love, love the Eldorado!!! FYI, in 1957, I was eight years old ~ but I did love beautiful cars! My Dad's eldest brother came down from Des Moines, IOWA in a gorgeous Caddilac. (He was a master mechanic with a garage bigger than our 110-acre farm, and kind of like you, a car freak). When I commented on their lovely auto, he said: "I drive the best, I run with the best, I drink the best whiskey", and where's the coffee? I made plates of scrambled eggs, sausage gravy, and homemade biscuits. Uncle Emmitt was thrilled as was his wife, red-headed foxy Aunt Bernice! What golden days!!!
You've drawn a whole lot of chalk drawings ~ we all ~ 10 kids loved them. Even baby David Luke, who was almost birthed in your car. If you recall, you drove thirty-something miles to put my Mom in the parsonage close to the hospital because the snowstorms were headed our way!!! What a wonderful guy the senior Darnell's reared! What a caring NC girl you married!!! You and your wife, and precious boys represent some of my favorite childhood memories --- I love this "throwback". Thanks, y'all. Pastor Jack and Sherry for all you two mean to me, I treasure your books and your boys. Enough, already. Love and hugs from Okeechobee, Glenda p.s the new font is great.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Fired with enthusiasm.

God bless you always.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do love a camp fire and some of my best memories come from sitting around one when used to camp. We would laugh historically at everyones jokes and cried over the sorrows. It was a warm feeling of companionship. A time I'll never forget. Lots of people burn off the brambles and weeds with a spring fire to make room for new growth. I'll be thinking of you and the campfire and wishing I could it enjoy it too.

Mevely317 said...

I LOVE this account, Jack! (Well, except the part about the bunny rabbits.)
I'd no idea about the sugar cane. Still, given the Cerro Grande fire (21 years ago this month), I'm leery of so-called controlled burns.
It's supposed to be in the high 90's next week, but your post has me longing for a fire pit of our own!

Mevely317 said...

Forgot to say, I love that car! IMHO those styles were far more attractive than what's being manufactured these days.

Dar said...

A very awesome car...I love the wingbacks. Beautiful vehicles sure have become a thing of the past. I miss them all. Your memories of campfires brought back many fond memories for me too. We'd camp nearly every weekend all summer long. We didn't mind gathering firewood to keep it kindled thru the night. A stir with the stick in the morning and it would start right up again in time to get pancakes and coffee on for the kids before they'd be off playing in the woods, swimming, fishing and hiking. Good, good times. Of course, some'ores would end our evenings. Now days, our fires are at the cabin watching the creek tumble over the rocks. Thanks for good memories.
loven'hugs from up north where it's been raining all the live long day as we sure need it