Monday, October 16, 2023

About the Appalachian Trail

  From the AT:

 


So for today:

 The Appalachian Trail, referred to as the letters ‘A’ ‘T’ not ‘at’. ;)  The AT is the longest maintained hiking trail in the world.  Maintenance is completed by volunteers if the many Hiking Clubs in all 14 states it touches. The trail takes hikers thru the Great Smokey Mountains and follows close to the Skyline drive in the Shenandoah’s, where you can look down into the beautiful Shenandoah valley.

Every hiker has a trail name, they choose it or others hikers give it to them. This is Cricket.  This little lady did a solo hike and made it the entire 2190 miles in 5 months. We took this picture just before her last 100 miles

 

The views are fantastic.  I can remember the first time I looked down on a eagle soaring below me, what a feeling. Fortunately in the low lands and in wet lands the maintenance crews have built bridges in 2 or 3 places to protect the environment an hikers boots.

 

If you get the urge, in all the 14 states there are many road crossings that you can walk a little on the trail. If you are on the road and see hikers crossing honk and wave.



Nite Shipslog

PS: Thank YOU ALL, for taking the time to stop by to visit. It makes us smile. Life outside is good.

 

3 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Amazing ... walking non-stop for 5 months. Are there inns or places to stay overnight, or do people stay in tents?

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

I remember you mentioning Cricket before! What a great smile!

Except to perhaps pose for a photo opp, I doubt I'll be spending time on the Trail itself. Still, if I'm ever in the area and happen to spot a hiker I'll be sure to honk and wave.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It would be wonderful to see such beauty walking the trail and meeting all the people hiking there. It would be an exciting time. I'm glad you got to do it so would share this information. It would be a beautiful experience.