Friday, October 6, 2023

Living Space

  Car of the day:

For today, our relationship with Campers

This is my first attempt at building our own.





Towed with this '60 Rambler
This one had no inside toilet. LOL

So for today:

I heard a speech by Lou Holts ONCE.  I have never forgotten one or two lines in it.  Everyone who knows me has heard me quote it or a version.  As he spoke, he told of living in close quarters of a small home. The family income was low but he said, “I have always had enough to eat.  I know this because when I asked for seconds, my daddy always said, ‘you have had enough’ .”

I am sure many older folk can relate to that, or times like that, unless they were from wealth.

Folks I knew growing up knew what it was like to live off less than a $1 an hour for pay. I cannot fathom the times my dad talked about, working for a nickel/dime an hour. At the most a dollar a day.

 

Those folk were conservative. I remember mama canning a lot and remember very well her washing jars and returning them to the owners when they had given us canned veggies.

I thought of all this because Sherry and I have been asked at times how we lived fulltime in an RV for 20+years, less than 300 sqft. Space is nice but we have never required much. We started off in about 200 sqft in Camp Geiger Trailer park. Shucks Sherry said she thought she was in heaven.

She was raised in a 2 BR house with 4 brothers and 2 sisters. She never had a bathtub before the little one in the trailer and she loved it.


Like her family, ours bathed in a #2 tin tub until I was about 9. She continued until she graduated from HS and we were married. 

That may sound farfetched to folk now, but it was NOT unusual; many Mill Houses did not have bathtubs.

This came to mind because we are very happy here in the Motor Home. We try to live most ½ year in this.  We have a nice home back in NC, but for us. Small is good. Oh we know that time is fast leaving us when we cannot travel, I hope by then SHE has settled down to living in one place.  LOL

 

 Our first sleep in vehicle. We never lived in this one. We used it camping & traveling.

Next was this 21' tag a long trlr

Then to see if we liked a motor home we got this, 24' Ranger. We decided we loved it.

Then came the Overland, a great coach with a diesel engine in the rear, we learned it is called a diesel pusher. WE loved it. Lived in it a few years.

Then we decided on 2 slide outs, buying this 38.5' Monaco Diplomat with 2 slides. We lived in it about 22 years methinks.

Lastly we have added one more slide.  We bought this 2005 Winnebago Adventurer is is shorter than the others, 36 feet, but has 3 slideouts. This one is gas, not a pusher.  I am not sold on it YET!  LOL But it is pretty!



From the Road.....


Nite Shipslog

 

PS: We always appreciate you taking the time to stop by for a visit. It makes us smile.

 

4 comments:

Mevely317 said...

You two humble me. Really!
Growing up, it never occurred to me that there were times we may have been lacking; or that mother may have secretly wanted that last piece of pie. I've often wished I could go back and say "I'm sorry" for having been a spoiled, inconsiderate child."

PS - I do love the looks of your new coach!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You two are amazing. How fantastic and adventurous you are. I've learnt a lot since I started visiting here. Thank you so much.

God bless you always, Jack and Sherry.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Living in close quarters with a large family is a challenge. At one time 5 of my children shared a bedroom and we only had one bath. Then we moved and it was a larger house with 2 1/2 bathrooms. We really enjoyed having more space. I do remember a time when not everyone had a bathroom and used the outhouse instead. We;'d sponge bath and not in a tub. Now we take it all for granted. Most don't realize how lucky they are. They've never had to do without. My grandmother only had a pump at the sink at best, for years they drew water from a well. Then you had to heat it on a stove. Wash days were a nightmare of work. So having a bathtub and running water are a blessing for sure!

Lisa said...

Everyone talks about haveing a big dream home. My dream home would be a cute little camper sitting by any kind of water. My parents have a big piece of property I can come in on the holidays. I would have the freedom to go anywhere I want to go and always have my own bed and potty.

Wishing
Lisa