Sunday, October 15, 2023

The Appalachian Trail

  From the AT:

 

The trail crosses many Roads and Rail Roads. the blaze is on the road here.

(Keep in mind we are not photographers!)

So for today:

After my opinionated post yesterday on a controversial subject I thought I had better lighten up!

Everyone will remember that last year or maybe this year, I had the great idea of a solo hike of the AT (Appalachian Trail).  As we ALL remember that was a flop. I got lost a couple times, even walked the wrong way for 9 miles. That trail is marked with a white blaze like on this tree, the blaze is white about 2x6 inches.

Yeah, I still want to do it, I was shocked to realize how losing all this weight would make me so cold natured. The temperatures I would have laughed at two years ago about froze me.

When you have no physical problems the walk in the woods is so relaxing.  As I have told here many times that years ago we were camping at Standing Indian State Park in Western NC Sherry came up with the idea of us hiking the AT. We met some hikers headed for Maine on the AT and it lit a fire in her soul. We were looking into the trail and while at the library a young lady said ‘you  must read ‘A WALK IN THE WOODS’ by Bill Bryson. It is a hoot.’

We read the book and enjoyed it. When the movie came out we couldn’t wait to see it. OUCH, to us it was terrible, nothing like the book.  I have witnessed that at other times, expecting to see ‘The Book’ on screen and did not.

This little rock was in the way and I asked Sherry to move it. ;)

My plan here on the blog, if I can follow thru, is to use the Shipslog to post a few pictures from Our AT hike.

Nite Shipslog

PS: Thank YOU ALL, for taking the time to stop by to visit. It makes us smile.

 

6 comments:

happyone said...

I walked a little part of the trail many years ago in NY when I was 19.

yaya said...

I think it's amazing you were able to walk that trail back then and perhaps now it's better to do the rewalk via memory photos! You both are a great example of living life to it's fullest and not letting age stop you. You are my heroes!

Unknown said...

My husband and I just did an hour walk and it was freezing out there. We enjoyed it though. My husband loves to walk. But hearing about all the hiking you and Sherry have done over the years make us feel like a couple of slackers. LOL

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Wow ... Sherry is really strong ... super powers.

God bless you both.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It'a always nice to have a goal to work toward. I get colder a lot easier than I did when I was younger.The cold freezes up my bones and that is not good. I'm so slow I can manage to move sometimes in the winter.My goal is just to keep moving at all. I used to love to hike, but cannot do that now. Nice you have all those great pictures of doing what you love. Nice to have such good memories of times past.

Mevely317 said...

That photo of super-Sherry is a panic!
As momma used to say, that movie adaptation y'all watched is a crying shame. I almost never want to watch a movie made from a good book ... or vice versa.