Friday, October 20, 2023

The Trail (AT) #6


  AT Pic of the Day

 


So for today:

There are times when you come to a service roadway away from a town you see several jugs of water. The long-range hiker knows there has been a ‘Trail Angel’ there to supply water for empty water bottles. It always brings a smile. 

Water is important on the trail most of the time it is easy to get, passing springs, branches and creeks. But at times you know you should filter the water and it takes some time, so those jugs are a welcome sight.

We have passed ice chests with soft drinks in ice.

You cross many fire breaks and mountain service roads used by the forest service. Of course you cross highways, country roads and State roads. At these crossings many times it shows the distance to a store or service station so you can replenish your food supply. You may also see a phone number of a trail shuttler that provides rides into town for a fee.

(I cannot remember a  frown ever on a young lady hiker!)

If you know where you are going for supply's you can start walking and someone will probably pick you up. This happened to Sherry and I once. We were walking on the side of a road when a brand-new minivan stopped. The driver did not even know how to get the back open for our packs, but finally figured it out.

The lady in the van said ‘my daughter is a hiker. She told us to always give backpackers a ride if we could.’  They were very nice and took us exactly where we were going.

(At a place I expected to see no one, I was in the middle of the trail, intent on taking a picture of a toad, I looked up and there she stood smiling waiting to pass. Sherry was way ahead of me, just below is the picture I was trying to take of the toad, not too good.)


Sherry was on ahead...


Hostels along the way.  We stayed at two. Nice folks and every evening they drove hikers into town to restock supplies. They also provided baths ;-).

Bathing: I like to go off trail and down a creek for my baths. My Sherry uses ‘wet-wipes’.  Girls like a nightly wipe down, I am a weekly bather at best, on the trail. A good smell keeps the bears away methinks. LOL

(The above dude I remember well, trail name "In-Tents" (Intense). I asked to take his picture, "Sure, as long as I don't have to get up!" he responded.

At least once, I remember in NC, a motel within a few feet of the trail, We got a room, meal and bath.

 

Nite Shipslog

PS:  Thanks for your time, the comments & prayers, Life goes on with or without you and me.. nice that YOU are here now.

5 comments:

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Trail Angels can be life-savers! I've cached water a couple times in preparation for longer hikes.

Mevely317 said...

I think it's amazing that denizens of the trail are so nice. Did y'all ever keep in touch with any of those men/women?

happyone said...

Wow so many nice people along the trail.
Those angels are indeed a blessing.

Lisa said...

Everyone needs to read your book! I loved reading it and had no idea of all the trail people and stuff your encounter when hiking.

From rainy gtown
Lisa

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Amazing what you two get up to. I admire you; even though I could not keep up with you for more than a mile or so.

God bless.