Monday, October 23, 2023

Appalacian Trail #9



 Picture of the day:









 Note:  Several commenters have thought their comments were lost, but they do seem to make it in time. 

For today:

There is a maintained monument for the  famous Audie Murphy (actor and most decorated soldier in WWII).  He was killed in Virginia very near the trail in a fatal plane crash.  I had stopped to pick blackberries near by.. Sherry called to me, “GET OUT OF THERE!”  Puzzled, because my sweetheart seldom yells, I asked why. “I hear a noise like a rattle.”  Then I understood. I did finally see a nice BIG friendly Rattler. He was telling me to GET OUT just like my girl……. and I did. LOL There was no danger, as long as I knew to heed his warning.

 

The monument on the trail is to honor Audie.  A little thing about hikers is stacking rocks at or near something interesting.  At Audie’s monument many rocks are stacked so as to NOT BLOCK the engravings. You can tell by the number of rocks this is well observed by the hikers and public.

Once Sherry was STARTLED by a wild acting Grouse that ran across the trail in front of her.  It was making loud sounds and acting like it had a broken wing or something.  We had heard about it happening on the trail but that was our first and only encounter.  The Grouse hen was protecting her young by getting our attention away from her biddies.

 

Some Rocks, some roots, ;-)

At times flying insects are a BIG problem.  We had head screens and also a full top body coverage in the worst areas. below is Sherry on break with her full netting.

 

There are no electrical nor phone connections on the trail.  Cell service is spotty BUT usually fair on mountain tops.






I can't help it, but this is THE END

Nite Shipslog

PS:

God has allowed us to meet some of the best folk on the planet. In person and here on the net.  Thank you all for being here… and being YOU!

We even saw Santa out on the trail

 

6 comments:

Susan Kane said...

What adventures. I had a near miss with a rattlesnake. Couldn't see it, but heard it and stood still for 5 min. and then cautiously moved away. Won't do that again.
Mountain Man?

Mevely317 said...

Yikes(!!!) on that rattler. I get the heebie-jeebies just reading about them. Was Sherry upset that you asked her, "Why?" before ACTUALLY getting out of there? I can't remember exactly why or when, but a few years ago Tom did the same thing. I was a little peeved that he had to stop and ask. Is that a 'guy' thing? (lol)

Love y'all!

NanaDiana said...

I am so happy that you were able to hike the Appalachian trail. I never did but would have loved to do that. I remember my father talking about Audie Murphy and he must have made quite an impression on him. I didn't realize he had died in a plane crash. Rattlers are scary-especially if you can't hear them!
Have a wonderful rest of the week- Diana

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Hiking is more dangerous than I thought, with snakes and bears, mice and spiders and ...

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your Sherry has a good eye and does a great job of keeping you safe. Rattle Snakes would not be good to have around. Thankfully they give a warning. Sherry has to be your ears for you. I was delighted to see more pictures of the trail. Keep on dreaming, You never know when it might come true for you.

salemslot9 said...

Thank you Sherry❗️