Thursday, October 26, 2023

The Appalachian Trail and Ponies #12

  A picture from the Trail.

 


Below is another hiker NOT ME!

 

For Today:

On the Trail Just North of Damascus Virginia is Grayson Highlands State Park Virginia State Park. This park is famous for its wild horses.  You share the trail with some of them as you hike thru, BTW as you can understand they have the right of way! ;-)

 Oh yes, I learned a Bible Truth on the trail.  The trail halfway point is just north of Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pennsylvania. Now if you know the Old Testament story of the Three Hebrew Men.  They were thrown into a furnace because they would not bow to an image of the dude Nebuchadnezzar. Once in the fire they did not burn they walked out in a while.  Okay I heard that story all my life. But I had never seen anything but a furnace that heated a church or big building. So I could not see how they ‘THREW’ the men into the furnace.

(When it was in use, there was a road leading up to the rear and the ore was dumped into the top)


I have never seen an iron furnace.  It is fed from the top.  So when I saw this Furnace a light came on. LOL So that is how they did that. WOW..

 

NOW about Ice cream, :-O LOL  the hiker is near the half-way point walking thru the Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pennsylvania.  You can get a tent site cheap and that allows you to take a bath and clean up some before you head to the Park Store.

  It is TRADITION to eat a ½ gallon of ice cream at this stop since it is halfway of the AT. I believe Sherry & I shared a ½ gallon.

WE have not totaled all the miles we hiked on the AT, but counting the day hikes and short hikes we are well over 2000 miles.  Maybe the full 2193, if not, close.

WE do not backpack now, and we only walk about a mile a day around the parks we stay in.

NiteShipslog

PS:  Thanks for visiting here. We hope you enjoyed it and will return.  Wishing YOU the best.

4 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

That's amazing ... you walked over 2000 miles. This takes stamina, determination and a lot of shoes.

God bless you both.

happyone said...

Oh my!! Amazing to see that hiker on the edge of the cliff!!!!
I love the idea of the ice cream tradition.

Mevely317 said...

I'd never fathom that furnace if you hadn't told us! Cute tradition, but now I'm wondering ... did y'all split chocolate or was it butter pecan?
Ice cream's okay, but I'd much rather find a pony to pet -- not so different than when I was a little girl.

salemslot9 said...

Once I walked 20 miles
In one day for charity
My sunburn was so bad
I had blisters on my shoulders