Tuesday, October 10, 2023

More about Al & Judy

 Car of the day:

 

The Hudson was a very good auto, I missed seeing them when they merged with Nash-Kalvinator. .

For today:

I bet I have written about Al & Judy before, maybe some of you came after I wrote.  You probably think Al was crazy, after what I have written, but contrary wise, he was a great guy easy to be around.

About the house again.  He rigged a windmill on the house roof with a car generator to charge his back-up house batteries.

Oh, once they came to eat with us and Sherry had forgotten and baked the potatoes in our microwave.  She took Judy aside and asked what to do? Judy said forget it he will never know. He never asked so Sherry never said.

They ran a pie making business out of the log house. The Cooking was normal, they used LP gas for baking. Al made the Boxes for the pies. The name of the company was “The Brown Box Pie Company.”  The pies were expensive BUT ABSOLUTLEY delicious.  The Wild blueberry was Sherry’s favorite. You could stand on the edges of Al’s boxes and not crush the pies.

One last thing before I write too much, Al took sick and passed away. It was a diabetes related problem.  The next year we were in Maine and stopped to see Judy. I remembered they went to mass regularly and during our conversations I made the statement, “We passed your church on the way in.”

“You did?” She said confused. 

“Yes, the Catholic church down town where Al’s Funeral was held.”

“Oh jack, that isn’t my church, that was Al’s church. You see I was taught that a house should not be divided, where ever the husband goes, I should follow, so I did, and was blessed.  But after Al’s death I returned to my Baptist church where my mama goes.”

Funny that had never come up in all our visits and conversations around the campfires. I must say, they were among the BEST folk we have ever associated with. Honest straight forward, what you saw was Al and Judy enjoying life their way.  You must appreciate that.

Wait, I gotta say this. Al said he drove past a lobster boat in a man’s yard many days in his work.  One day he stopped and asked what the man’s plans for the boat were.

 “I want rid of it, want to buy her?” was the reply.

Al said he was stumped, pulled out his wallet and had $38. “I’d like to own it but all I have is $38!”

“Sold! That is if you can move it this week!”

Al moved it to his Log house on the mt and repaired it; he lobstered with it for a few years. When visiting Judy last, I learned his son had built his lobster business around that boat and still used it.

Nite Shipslog

PS: We Get fresh Maine Lobsta when visiting Judy!

God has allowed us to meet some of the best folk on the planet. In person and here on the net.  Thank you all for being here… and being YOU!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Best $38.00 Al ever spent I would guess. LOL

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I wonder how much $38 is in today's money; with inflation over the years.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I enjoyed the more you wrote. They certainly were an unusual couple but I like that they stuck together. Sorry for the loss of another friend. Diabetes is nothing to shake your head at. That is why I'm trying to avoid eating sugars. I don't want to be a diabetic.

Mevely317 said...

You've met the most interesting folks!
Judy sounds like one devoted lady. That business about the 'radiated' potatoes makes me grin. It reminded me of the time, when years ago my husband and I would host a New Years Day open house. He/we made dozens of cabbage rolls, featuring both ground chuck and pork. Well, one of his business associates and wife were Jewish, she more than Reuben. Carefully inspecting her plate, she queried to no-one in particular, "Is there pork in this?" Reuben answered, "Shut up and eat it Lil; it's delicious."