Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Trail (AT) plus ... 5

AT Pic of the Day



(You cannot make up shots like this, the creek found a crack in the Granite amd made a beautiful site)


So for today:

WE humans find it hard to explain what draws us to certain things in our lives.  I had friends who were drawn to auto racing. Some still follow NASCAR’s every move. Others of you are fanatics of College Football or Basketball, some because of their college experiences or kids and grandkids participation.

The real hiker if the OLD lady in the center the other two are her daughter and SIL who came to hike with her for a few miles.

Since I was a kid I loved to wander thru the woods hunting, looking or just on the way to the closest creek or river.

The idea of camping and living off nature comes from my own family (before my time) in the Great Depression when dad & mom left a struggling sharecropping life in Georgia and traveled to lower Florida for work with the WPA. There raising my older siblings in tents. They also lived in tents in the Mts of NC when dad made a living in a rock quarry and as a logger.

I do have some history of the outdoors in my family. That is what surprised me. I was responsible for Sherry liking the woods because I introduced her into camping, BUT, but I never expected this girl to say, “You and me can backpack over 2000 miles, let’s go!”

Anyway we started but after the first 100 miles we were back to the very place she got the idea, Standing Indian State Park, and gave up.  WE called for a shuttle ride back to our car because we realized we weren’t truly prepared to do a thru-hike.

But the idea did not die; she took me back the next Summer and five summers after that. For those years, in our 60s we did about all we could do, still short a couple hundred miles. One of those summers we backpacked 900 miles, our longest stretch.


(In the END Sherry says I take these pictures instinctly. But I did follow her many miles and got a lot of these views, nice huh? )

Nite Shipslog

PS:  Thanks for your time, the comments & prayers, Life goes on with or without you and me.. But I am glad YOU are here now.

2 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

God bless you both for your stamina and determination. I don't think I would have gone further than a couple of miles.

God bless always.

Mevely317 said...

Well, thank YOU! It's an honest-to-goodness pleasure.

That first image of the creek cutting a path through the granite is something else. I've heard tale there's something like that in northern Arizona; a Grand something or another. (lol)