Thursday, August 30, 2018

lifetime friends?



Historical Photo:
             Prescott, AZ 1870's


 Question:
Do you have any friends from your childhood that you see daily, or even monthly?  I have been asked to speak at Sherry’s ‘Class of 1956’ High School reunion. Sherry is a hometown girl. She was born and raised in Belmont. Some of the people she sees every week she has known from first grade or before.

Heck, we can’t go to Walmart without her meeting someone she knows. I keep telling her it ain’t like this when we go to Walmart in Iowa City or Wichita. WE can go in and right out!

I have mulled over subjects to speak on, I plan to keep it to 10 minutes. Folks do not go to a reunion to listen to a speaker, they go to talk, fellowship, gossip or speculate why Bill, Mary or Skinny didn’t come.

I lived in 7 towns by the time I was 15.  I attended 4 different schools before I dropped out. Good friendships from school & teen years have been few and far between.

The people left in the class of ’56 is naturally dropping, age will whip us all. But it is amazing you have people 80 years old who have known each other most of their lives. Now I cannot even relate to that, I wish I could.  I have gotten to know many of Sherry’s friends.  Since I was a builder I have met buyers and customers, but they are not real friends (Unless you  consider everyone listed as your friends on face book counts. LOL)

Don & Evelyn (Sherry’s classmate) are also RV’ers and I have gotten to know them so well that we are considered good friends. We even see each other in Florida.

I blogged about meeting with friends from 1951-1954 once. Jimmy Page a ‘buddy’ from Valdese arranged for Shirl, Sherry and I to meet with him, his sister and Robbie and Betty Cook.  I finally got to tell Betty she was my first girlfriend, but she never knew it. LOL

I had a great life and did meet many people, but only about 4 were lasting friendships.  I don’t fuss about that If I was in trouble I could call on either of the 4 now and get support. I hope they feel the same about me.

Nite Shipslog

 I want to say, 1954  Buick, but I do not remember the wrap around windshield in '54.  I think I am losing something.... (never had one)I did love this car!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I was just talking about this the other day over dinner. I have what I call “friends” but none that I do things with. I get depressed over this matter sometimes. My closest friend is one I grew up with in church but we rarely see each other, but when we do, youd think we are together every day. We do not skip a beat or make it an issue that its been so long. We just pick up where we last left off. There were a few girls in the past couple years that we would meet for a glass of wine or dinner but they have some how grown distant. I baffles me why friends come and go. I used to randomly text friends (first) and they would text back but I stopped just to see what happens. Well, I havent heard from them since. I never see friends from SouthPoint. However, Nick still sees a lot of his Huss school mates from the past.

To work I go
Lisa

Chatty Crone said...

I read about friendships a long time ago - there are about four levels if I remember - the top level you are lucky if you have 3 or 4 - so you are doing good.

Remember the song - Make new friends - but keep the old - one is silve and the other gold - you are rich.

sandie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Even though I've lived in the same place most of my life, I rarely see anyone from my school days. Friends have come and gone but I've had some for about 40 years that I still see. I met these galls when my children were young and they still mean a lot to me. Have fun with your speech for the reunion, they say keep it simple and make it fun. There is a lot of joy in simplicity.

betty said...

I think it is neat you were asked to speak at Sherry's reunion. Keeping it short to 10 minutes could be hard depending on the topic you decide to speak on. Hubby and me need to find friends here. We're so busy with different schedules that its hard to connect with anyone. That will change a bit when he retires in maybe a year or so, but we're going to be making an effort to get involved in church and find some place to volunteer there as well as join a small group if we can fit it into our schedules. This is probably the first place we've lived in all the places we lived that we don't have anyone really in close proximity (other than family) to call if we needed something. Its kind of a weird feeling.

betty

Mevely317 said...

Good question! I've a handful of dear friends from my childhood-teen years via Facebook … but given the chance to spend in-person time together, I wonder how much we'd enjoy each others' company. We've all grown and changed in many ways.
'So tickled you'll be giving the keynote speech at Sherry's reunion. I know NOTHING about topics! But, remembering Sean (of-the-South) 'talk' last weekend it seems the biggest laughs came at his self-deprecating humor (i.e., wetting his pants on stage in 3rd grade).

Dar said...

I tried to respond this morning and no go so here goes again...... :)
I do have lifelong friends and we do see each other from time to time. Bill also knows plenty from the past 60some years, workmates as well as classmates that have remained friends. It's funny tho, our dearest 'friends' are also family. We love it that way.
So you're speaking at Sherry's reunion...whatever you decide to talk about, you will do awesome. It's also cool that most of her classmates already know you. Should be a slam-dunk!!!
love n' hugs from our cooler north and lovin' it.

TARYTERRE said...

you are lucky to have close friends that will help see you through hard times. that is rare these days.