Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Membership clubs


Trucks of Art:


            1961 Volkswagen Pickup
 
When we decided to join a Camping club we found a membership for sale on line.

We learned that the office of the ‘Club’ was in St. Cloud Florida. Instead of doing this on line we opted to go to the office. Funny thing that caused some consternation was our first two minutes in the office.

I told the secretary, “We are buying Ms. Jones membership @ Diamond Caverns in Kentucky.”

Without hesitation I heard, “Great, she has been trying to get rid of that for years!”

Is that scary or what?  LOL

BUT to the workers benefit (we learned later), the company had already been sold and most likely they were losing their jobs.

I must say, we have never been sorry we bought in.  It has been good for us and all ‘Full-timers’. I would never recommend a club other than a ‘yearly 50% off club’ (Passport America) to anyone who camps for only 2 to 4 weeks a year.

I am not sure of the years we used the first membership. But we had 6-8 parks. We would stay 2 weeks in and stay out 7 days. The membership corporations are always looking for ways to increase income. They offered us 82 parks with 21 day stays and no time out. We could go from park to park. Our dues frozen at about $500 a month. Theoretically we could live all year for $500 plus the diesel to get from park to park. THAT IS A DEAL.  BUT the cost of the upgrade was $3900.  It doesn’t take much math to figure we would save that fee the first year, so we became ELITE Members.

Everything worked well for about3-4 years. Then NEW programs came out. ZONE Passes, for one. Campers could buy in for a year at a time (no life time obligations) for a zone. RV parks began to fill up.  Then Another program, ‘Seasonal passes’ where the camper could pay up front and stay in one park for up to a year. That took up more ‘available sites for the ‘Elite’ members.’ LOL

In the small print, all those ‘perks’ are according to ‘availability!’

So far I am not fussing, BUT…………  ??? maybe???
Oh yes, new programs We were 'Elite Members' now we are 'Elite BAsic' we can now upgrade to something more super dooper, but I think we will pass for now.

Nite Shipslog

PS: I must have said all this before, but I am a little discomboobalated  lately.  I will find another subject. LOL

8 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Okay, I take back what I said about yours not sounding like a timeshare! (*smile*) My last employer was a relatively 'small fish' (Shell Vacations Club). Then, when Wyndham bought it out, the 'Signature' (i.e., elite) membership became tiered. Because they were grandfathered in, folks' Signature status couldn't be taken away; but they were just deemed, 'basic.' Sometimes I wonder if some people lay awake at night, thinking of ways to get rich on the backs of others.

Rick Watson said...

Sounds like software. In the past, I could be the software I use daily for graphic and website design for a set price and then several years later if I wanted to get all the bells and whistles I could upgrade for another fee. Now, they've done away with those and they want a monthly fee.

I rolled back the software I used to the last one I owned about four years ago and that's what I'll use.

I understand that companies need to make a profit, but they also need to be mindful of those who helped put them in a position to succeed.
R

betty said...

Its like getting a seasonal pass for Disneyland and then there are a lot of "blackout" days when you can't use it (usually popular times). They'll always look for some way to get more money from us I think.

betty

Woody said...

Good Post, Good Information, I don't remember you posting this before ! You might have but it was interesting to read this cold, 11 degree night, we just came home in 4 inches of fresh snow ! You 2 take care, Gary & Anna Mae

Chatty Crone said...

My hubs and I got caught up in a vacation discount - $6000 and we never used it once yet!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Clubs are nice for those that used them and travel but if you don't use it often, it wouldn't be worth the upgrade. Always something new it seems, bigger and better, and at some point we do have to decide if it is worth it. Not only in camping but all sorts of clubs. The only one I belong to right now is Sam's Club. I have the basic member ship and for me it is worth it.

We're till in the deep freeze here, but there is hope for the weekend!
Love and Hugs,

'ma'

Dar said...

OK, so something I don't have to think about. I'm glad it works for you tho.
We spend a lot of time at the cabin in the woods, no fees, no worries, we can go anytime we please and it's close to home. Any day of the week it's home away from home. Have a great time traveling. I know you guys love it.
love n' hugs from up north in our snow-covered, chilly but sunshiny day.

Lisa said...

We are still just pay for the stay-ers.

The Campground we stay at is always full of "snow Birds". We call them that because they are fulltimers that come to live on the campsites all Winter to escape the cold Up North.

Enjoying the sun in Gtown today.
Lisa