Saturday, March 9, 2019

Memorials, statues and Monuments


Trucks of Art:
 1964 International 1 ton

Once we spent a couple months in the Arizona desert from Quartzsite down to Yuma. I expected the desert floor to be all sand.  I mean, we came thru White Sands, in New Mexico so I thought I was getting a feel of ‘all’ deserts.  I was very surprised. I have no idea what I was thinking. Our country’s forefathers crossed the desert in wagons, if it was all sand they would have had an even tougher time making it.



In my mind I pictured a ‘Monument or Memorial’ as a giant plaque or statue. I didn’t expect to see acres or square miles set aside as a ‘Monument.’ Nothing wrong with that idea, it was just the way I saw it on the ‘East Coast’, i.e. DC and the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials and the Washington Monument.

The White Sands Monument is 143,000+ acres of beautiful white gypsum sand. It is amazing, but I was satisfied to see a few acres of its beauty.


My other ‘Monument’ surprise was the Chiricahua Monument, in Arizona. It is about 12,000 acres. The area is amazing. This was NOT what I expected. I had never heard of the place until we camped at Fort Huachuca, the home of the Buffalo Soldiers. We just had to drive the 60-70 miles up to see it. Loved it. We had SNOW, which was also a surprise to me. Snow in Arizona!


 I love these rain, water and wind formations.
These formations are like clouds to me, as the shadows change I see animals and creatures, do you?  LOL



Oh, and before I forget, I had some smiles and laughs at the comments on my Kitty Litter experience. Thanks, they made my day! Even a helpful hint from Nana. OUCH TT, @ the daughter’s kitty litter steps. And I could sympathize with MA and the ‘MUD’ after the freeze!

Nite Shipslog

10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Some interesting facts and sites here Jack. I have never seen them and probably won't. So thanks.

Rämmengården said...

I love your pictures have a Nice Day hugs from Nina

Mevely317 said...

You've seen more of Arizona while visiting than I did in 15 years!
The last time I visited White Sands was a little frightening: VERY hot and I was woefully out of shape, struggling to keep up with my more-athletic companion. At one point, we even lost track of our bearings; nothing but endless white. Now I see why visitors are required to sign in before they go out.

TARYTERRE said...

you just opened my mind to what a monument is or isn't. interesting indeed.

Glenda said...

What wonderful formations pictured, have never seen those, they are awesome! I'm enjoying your trip from the comfort of home, thank you!!!

NanaDiana said...

I'm with you! I always think of a monument as being a piece of manmade sculpture. Those are certainly surprising. The canyon and rock formations remind me of Bryce National Canyons. I saw all kinds of faces, features and beyond there. I hope to get hubby out to see it one day as it is amazing and he has never been west.

I hope you have a great time and enjoy a whole new slew of places in the next several years. Hugs to you and Sherry- Diana

betty said...

I never heard of the Chiricahua Monument, but it looks beautiful there! I'm going to have to google it when I finish this comment and see how close it is to Phoenix. Could be a fun adventure to go and explore the area. Northern Arizona does get snow. There was a snowstorm about 2 weeks back that dumped 31 inches in Prescott where we used to live and more than than in Flagstaff!

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The pictures show some beautiful natural monuments for sure. Nature has a way of expressing things much better than we could ever do. We are finally out of the deep freeze here but the March winds are a blowing!

Love and hugs,
'ma'

Lisa said...

Interesting post.
I picture the dessert as all sand and travels by camels. I never thought about the wagons. Shows how much Ive been around.

Happy Sunday
Lisa

Dar said...

You've been everywhere, man, you've been everywhere....just thought of Johnny Cash and you making a record!!!! LOL You really have seen so much and thanks to you and Sherry sharing your trails through pictures, for the rest of us, we also have traveled some. I'd heard of the monuments you mentioned through our neighbors of long ago who had also visited them. Amazing sands and formations of Chiricahua. I got nervous seeing you standing on the snow so close to the edge.............be careful travelin' man.
love n' hugs from our north where we still have long daily visits from the bobcat. He's gorgeous but still a dangerous predator. I have taken many pictures of him thru the safety of my kitchen window.