Sunday, July 10, 2022

I have been doing this for ages....

  Today’s automobile:

 In some parts of your country they would love to see this much mud. (can you imagine today's cars making it thru these roads.  Some of you reading this can 'relate.' Especially Woody of NY, ;-)

(NOTE: I bought gas in NC today for $4.09, terrible when you think that ain't bad! (compared))

Some thoughts for today:

I just read some of the sweetest comments here. Thanks...

I looked over 2 feet and Sherry was tearing up some receipts. I said you are one cute lady.  She said, “I am my shredding machine, I have been doing this for years!”

I am one of the luckiest dudes in the world. She has stuck beside me thru thick and thin, and there have been some thins!

Sheila said something in her comments like, “Those cotton mills supported us.”

Below is the Imperial Mill. The last Mill in which Sherry's parents worked.

Below was the sad end. We did get one brick as a souvenir. I hope to make some type of memory keeper out of it for the kids.

Sherry's sister Lennie and Elmer (dating ) on the porch of the mill house on at 129 Hawthorne St. (I got a lot of kisses on that porch later, and wrote hundreds letters to that address!


Yes, it was the same with most families I grew up around. Sherry's parents worked in the Imperial. from 10 yrs old to 60s. Most of Sherry’s immediate family, found life outside the cotton mills. But they, like Sheila, spent some time breathing that cotton lint/dust before leaving.

I was shocked once I left the Piedmont of North Carolina. I thought this area produced all the thread and cotton cloth in the world. LATER I learned most every town in the south was supported by cotton and cotton mills. There were actually 26 mills in the Belmont area alone.

I was caught aback learning that in Vermont/NH/ME/MASS there were huge cotton mills.

I am somehow deflated to think all that labor has gone overseas.  I remember an interview with someone in leadership of Walmart who said, “We had to go overseas for products.”

One thing I heard personally. My cousin Bobby O’Shields managed a cotton mill in Greenville, SC. He told me to keep the mill alive he approached Walmart about carrying their socks. During the conversation he learned his mill could not  supply one Walmart for a year.

 Sad, that our job markets have gone overseas.

Anyway, I use e-mails for most of my communications, but since most folks use FB, Sheila if you would send me your new address in a FB message thru messenger, I will ship that dude to you!

If I miss that try jacsher@aol.com.

Love all you guys who take time to read this drivel. THANKS!

NiteShipslog

7 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've been doing this for years too. Shredding up those receipts. The only ones I don't shred are the ones that show I paid in cash. Who knows if anyone would ever try to use the numbers of my csrdit card or not, but I don't want to take that chance. So many of our jobs went over seas due to cheaper labor. But I try to buy only made in America. Best way I know of to fight against overseas businesses.

Susie said...

I saw all the things you had saved from writing to your sweet Sherry and visa versa. Wow. You may have to take shifts in the shredding dept. I loved Ma comment...we have let too many jobs get away from the U.S.A. Mostly from Corp. greed. I see the G.M. factory where I worked and made a good living...down to maybe 600 employees , where once ,I was told had 10,000 . Blessings to you and Sherry, xoxo, Susie

betty said...

It is a shame that we let so many jobs go overseas for the cost of labor. I really prefer to buy American but sometimes it is hard to find something made in America. I think it was Sam Walton's original intent to make sure they only sold American made things at Wal-Mart, but we know what happens when the founder is no longer with us and the families may want to amass wealth for themselves. Wal-Mart is not the only company that is "guilty" of that. We do shred our receipts as we need to :)

betty

Mevely317 said...

One of our favorite picturesque spots in nearby Prattville is the site of an old cotton mill. Presently it's being transformed into high-end condos; lots of that sort of thing taking place in Montgomery, too. I think it neat that old historic structures are being preserved v. knocked down.
Your personal shredder's a wise lady,! Far too many people are lax about their personally-identifiable info.

Lisa said...

Telling my age here. I worked in two mills when I was younger.

Lisa

Sheila Y said...

Thank you so much! You can’t even imagine how much it will mean to me. :,) <3
We also had 4 sewing factories in our town, that I remember. I believe one made pants for the navy at one point. I think one is still running unless it’s closed in recent years. But I think all four were closed at one time and that one started back. For awhile in recent years a company made some kind of aircraft parts in what was the Opp cotton mill, but now it’s been torn down. I think there might have been one building left when I was last there.
Love from Florida, Sheila

Glenda said...

Love reading all of this --- your commentary, Sherry's replies and your viewers who add so much to your Blog.
Love and hugs from Chobee, Glenda