Sunday, July 17, 2022

Today is little

When we built this place I had a great cabinet man.  When the cabinets were being installed I mentioned I hated to take up space in the cabinets for  the kitchen trash.  He asked would you like a free standing cabinet for the trash can.  I said, 'sure.'

Two days later he brought this custom solid oak trash can holder:

It has been in the basement since Sister Shirl rented the place years ago. Back then she wanted the space for a china hutch.   So it has been in the basement ever since.  Looking at it yesterday I decided to replace the Microwave stand with it so it would match the cabinets.
When a sink is installed on a countertop there is always that nice piece of it, the size of the sink that for many, goes in the trash.  I have never been able to throw it away.  It has always became a shelf or two inside the cabinets.  This time it makes a permanent top for the trash can holder and I will use the older oak top as a door for a small cabinet.  Here is the top installed. I do not have pictures of the final product yet.



I hope to have the final shot tomorrow.....
Take care and thanks for coming this way....

Nite Shipslog

5 comments:

betty said...

Everything is looking great, Jack! That was interesting with the free standing cabinet for trash. I do like the concept. I don't like the trashcan out where people can see it so I usually tuck it under the sink, but this could work since it looked just like another cabinet there. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

betty

Woody said...

Looking good, I was never a "Finish" Carpenter, I could rough frame but could never Miter in a nice 45 degree angle on moulding. Any room I redid I went with my own ripped moulding, it was 1 inch by 1 1/2 inch square and I could make them join in the corner without too much wood putty to look good !
I never touch Electrical and Puumbing I hire out. You are Talented !!! Looking forward to Pictures so "Relax Today and tomorrow "Get to Work" !!!! Love you both, Take Care, Gary and Anna Mae.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You really are so talented. I was never good at woodwork, or any such work like plumbing and electricals. I did paint the garden gate though !!! Michaelangelo would have been proud. It is only one colour but you can see the brush-strokes.

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

I never would have thought about a free-standing trash receptacle ... and one so attractive! That's sure a nice touch, using the extra piece of counter to complement. You're having fun, aren't you?!

Glenda said...

Jack, you are so industrious.
Your posts always inspire me! Thinking I'll give up the Donald & Melania mess and just follow the Shipslog!!! Hugs from Chobee!