Thursday, July 7, 2022

WOW Sheila pays attention to detail

  Today’s automobile:

 1938 Delage D8, vintage like me!  LOL


Evidently the Delage was for rich folk......

Some thoughts for today:

I smiled ear to ear when Sheila said in her comment, How much would you sell the bobbin and shuttle from the cotton mill? Sheila

How many people reading this silly blog would notice that in one of the quick shots from yesterday!?

Hey sweet lady, if no one in the family wants it, I will bring it of send it to you. Funny the only ones in my family that would even know what it was would have been me, maybe Sherry, and mom and dad who worked in a weave mill.  I never worked in a mill, but I took a 'crip course' in high school in textile.

Not many people would know the ‘shuttle’ was ‘knocked, slapped’ back and forth in between the threads by flat bats, to make clothe. I would have given it to Jean (Sheila’s mom and one of the best of bloggers I can remember) if she had asked.

I said ‘flat bats’ because we used the old ones for bats in playing sand lot baseball. The Shuttle and bobbin did the same on huge clothe up to 12 foot wide, that the bobbin did in the sewing machine.

So if neither of the kids show an interest, I will be glad to give it to you Sheila.  I am sure it is not 'valuable' dollar wise, since there were millions of them in textile mills but it makes me feel good to touch it at times. Since mama and daddy worked with them from 1925- 1932. ;-)

Sherry's mom and dad worked in the mills from 8-10 yrs old until their 60s.

Sometimes it is the simple comment out of the blue that lifts your spirits.  Love you guys that read this stuff...

NiteShipslog

7 comments:

Mevely317 said...

What a delightful turn of events!
To tell the truth, I wouldn't have been able to identify it from the man in the moon -- but I sure enjoyed this story.

Love from rainy 'Bama ... weather you can wear!

Susie said...

Oh my gosh, I tell people even if they owned the hope diamond to sell it because our kids do not want our stuff (collections). When I was packing to move, my daughters told me to shred all the letters, cards and such they and their children had given me....not to be rereading any of it. I told them it just wasn't that easy. So I packed up the stuff from their children and told them to shred it themselves. LOL I saw that they too were reading the things too. I try not to keep letters and cards so long now. Some are just very special. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a lovely story and how generous of you Jack. Thanx.

God bless.

Lisa said...

I’m sure Shelia would find use for it. Either a decorative conversation piece or for a craft.
you are so generous.

Nite
Lisa

betty said...

Learned something new today because I didn't know what a bobbin/shuttle were and how they were used! I did see Sheila's comment from the day before but wasn't sure what she was referring to. Glad her comment did bring a smile to your face, Jack!

betty

Sheila Y said...

Mom and Dad both worked and retired from the Opp cotton mill. All of us kids worked at least a little while at the cotton mill. We had two, the Opp and the Micolas(Mī-cō-las). My brother Terrie worked at the Micolas until it was close to closing. The Opp had already closed. The rest of us kids worked at the Opp cotton mill, I worked about a year and a half as a weaver. I know Dad had some old bobbins at one time and I remember a ‘flat bat’ too but there were none when cleaning out the house and sheds. I did find some old weave hooks. I was hoping to find mom’s weave belt or even mine (my dad made them) or one of her old aprons she wore, but they were gone also. If none of your kids want it I would be honored to have it. Those cotton mills raised us, :) Sheila ❤️

boromax said...

I do not comment often enough, but I read you every day, Jack; and what you write always - I mean, always - makes me smile. I look forward to seeing you in my inbox. And, fwiw, I recognized the shuttle, too, and thought how cool is that?! ~ Ed.