Saturday, July 9, 2022

Poetry, letters and Susie

 Today’s automobile:

 I never got this, all my letters and messages were sweet!

This mad woman's actions say she bought a lot of picks or had a hardware store! The news paper article was entitled "Mad Woman".

Some thoughts for today:

Our Leesburg Library has a poetry contest yearly. This year’s winners are in. I seldom read poetry any more, but on a whim I read the first place winners in the Adult and then the teen category…..  I learned something, life changes….

The Adult poem was very good. That is my opinion. It actually was a mystery until the end it was the stuff on the side of the road and the writer was picking up litter.

THEN I went to the Teen winner. Within 15 words the ‘F’ bomb was used. I understand in today’s language it is considered by many, to be nothing but silly to fuss about it. I read the poem it was fair, but didn’t need the profanity in my opinion.

And then Susie in her comment brought up OLD letters, cards and gifts held by us seniors. While trying to clear out our stuff I found a pile of letters. Sherry and I must have saved every letter. I CANNOT shred or throw them away either, but what to do with them?



The bag is OUR letters.  The book at right contains all the letters I received from Sherry and the boys while on a Meditteranean Cruise. I had plenty of time on my hands.... There is a pocket inside for the pictures they sent.

(Sherry has always had beautiful handwriting!)

We corresponded a lot while I was deployed. We did graduate to cassettes, but reused them for return letters. None of those are around. We both used to ‘write “secrets”under the stamps’ before applying them, did you ever do that?

I do so appreciate all the comments and all you that read. I am just trying to handle life’s situations, it does get harder once in your 80s, but Life has always been a challenge and a joy.

One bright point, our nephew Steve is going to contract for the shower next door.

NiteShipslog

PS:  The name Susie is one of my favorites. Susie was the sweetest mother in law ever!

6 comments:

betty said...

So sweet you and Sherry saved all those letters! I bet your boys would want them just for nostalgia? I had never heard of writing a message under a stamp; learned something new today! I'm not much for poetry (other than what may be in the Bible) but I do agree that perhaps profanity shouldn't be used in cases like this.

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

How nice of you and Sherry to have kept the letters you wrote to each other. You are an example to all of us.

God bless you both always.

Myra said...

Noooo ... please don't destroy those precious letters! What I wouldn't give to have even one or two hard copies of those my mother sent. Perhaps you can have them professionally scanned and/or preserved? Like Betty, I never heard of writing secrets under the stamp. How'd that work?

Sorry to be late. We had a terrific thunderstorm that knocked out our power ... and killed the PC. I'm trying to learn to use Tom's Chromebook; making more mistakes than a 5th grader. It's always something!

Susan Kane said...

Such a lot of letters. We have some letters from pre-wedding times, and we were sooo young.

Susan Kane said...

I left off, before I told you that having such memories is a gift. I have our in some bag in the closet, and I think you guilt-ed me into doing more.
We are in 3 digit temperatures, with promises of cooler temps. Do you believe them? Hah.

Sheila Y said...

I say keep them, your boys might not want them but your granddaughter might. Us girls be different about that. Lol. I’ve always thought how neat it would be to have letters or a diary from my grandparents or great grandparents. My mom didn’t keep any letters, but there are some photos from when my Dad was in service with notes they wrote on them.
Take care, Sheila