Monday, July 11, 2022

Multi-tasking and phantom pain

  Today’s automobile:

 This is a '75 Trans-Am, the Trans-Am was Steve and his best friend Hanks' choice of cars for many years.




Some thoughts for today:

Do you multitask well?

I CAN do several things simultaneously but it is not my preference.  I can get frustrated easy if all does not go well.

I have always considered myself as ‘one track minded.’  As a builder I wanted the jobs done in sequence. Son Mark on the other hand liked to ‘Speed things along.’

Example: He would call for a foundation inspection just as we started digging.  I wanted it dug, grading stakes in place and READY before the call was made. I don’t remember a time when it did not work for him; on the other hand I KNEW there could be hidden surprises, i.e. a hydraulic hose burst on the backhoe. The hoe could hit a huge hidden rock… etc.

Anyway I am not good at having several things hanging in my head. It is good to have all the materials ready for this week’s big job. Nephew 
Steve is pulling the shower/tub, repairing the floor, installing the shower base and laying the new floor covering. At the same time they will replace two sinks and hardware.

Our boys and Steve.....  this was way back between the USAF and the USN for our family we lived in Belmont for a little while. (2 of these boys are now on SS !)

Steve plans to start Tuesday and he has already scheduled the tile man for Wednesday.

They will over-lap jobs. Steve is a special man. He lives with terrible pain from a foot. The Drs are stumped. It has been solid 2+ years. It is so bad he has asked them to amputate. They are worried that the pain will still be there. I know you have heard of phantom pains I think they are called. Sonny, Steve’s dad, lost part of a finger in an accident. He could still feel the end of the missing finger, it hurt at times.

Anyway, Steve is a multitasker. He has several jobs going at once. THAT would be IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME especially along with the pain…

Further and the end, I have a few things in my head at present, having this shower installed will be a BIG relief….

NiteShipslog

PS: As long as several jobs are in a row, I can work with them, I just prefer no over lapping.. LOL I have grand children that can juggle baseballs, work a crossword puzzle and text at the same time.  ;-O

5 comments:

betty said...

You are right, Jack, it is called phantom pain. I am a bit of a multitasker. I think sometimes moms have to be, lol :) I bet you'll be glad when the current shower project is completed until the next job comes along, lol :) I think maybe in this day and age one needs to alert the next part of a project to be ready and to schedule it since it seems a lot of people aren't showing up to their commitments they made to do the work.

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have alll I can do to keep myself on track. I don't multitask. One job at a time and It'll all get done. You are bless to help others and still get your own jobs done. Your nephew is so lucky to have you on hand to help him. Your knowledge is a big benefit to anyone !

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I can't multi-task. One thing at a time. I even typed this comment one letter at a time.

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

Yes, I've heard of phantom pain, but can't wrap my mind around it. How awful!
Used to be, I prided myself on being a multi-tasker. (True or not, didn't lots of people?). Only about 10 years ago, however, I heard a speaker saying that's NOT a good thing. I remember little else, but it sure made an impression!

PS - Only this morning I saw a cute saying on FB:. "I've got so many things on my plate right now I can't decide if I've found a rope or lost my horse.'

yaya said...

Working in an operating room has made me a multi tasker. I can hold a retractor and load a needle holder with the suture and I'm also ambidextrous. So I find myself trying to get 3 or 4 things done at once when I'm home and it doesn't always go nice! So stick to what works best for you!