Saturday, July 16, 2022

The basement change, todate

 Memorable car of the day:

 

For today:

I have mentioned that I built the two condos (this duplex) where we now live; one side was for my older sister Kat and hubby Dick. We sold them their side at cost. 

When they were in their 70's Dick told me they planned to sponsor a couple they knew in Guyana to come and take care of them in their later years. They would live with them until they he & Kat passed then the house would be theirs.  Well, planning is good, and we must do it.  BUT we cannot predict the future. Both Dick & Kat passed on before they needed help physically.  

So the idea of an apartment in the basement came from his thinking. I am sure one of us will be left behind one day, like some of you, we will be alone. Maybe someone will live down there and take care of us.  HOWEVER who does it will be paid (like we would pay an Old-Folks Home), but we would stay in familiar surroundings.  Sounds good anyway. LOL

In between getting material, doing a little cleaning, cutting the grass and keeping out of the workers’ way I did some work in the basement.

Rough shot, but this is the messy area as I plumbed the new cabinet:

The water supply had to come from above.  I hid it behind a piece of crown mold in the corner:

(If I ever complete this little efficiency, I will install a drop down ceiling to hide the joists, insul, and plumbing.)

Then I got to the plumbing itself: 

I finished the plumbing and if I do say so, I did a great job, LOL

(Now ain't that purty?)

Here is the present condition of the little efficiency as of Friday night:

It now has hot/Cold water, refer, and microwave. The refer is running but I still must add circuits to the electrical. I do not plan a range, just a microwave.

Below is the future bed room, this was my office in the basement when I was in business. Now a picture and junk room.




The train set is in the effeciency living area, Mavrick came by and wanted the train set up, so it is still there. He loves trains...



Nite Shipslog

PS:

6 comments:

betty said...

I can see why Maverick likes trains and would want that train set! I bet he will have so much fun with it! Great job with the plumbing Jack! Great idea too with the efficiency apartment with perhaps someone living there to help you and Sherry out should you need it. It is a good concept to provide them with a little of their own space and allow you to remain in a place you are comfortable at. I think perfect size too!

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You are so talented. Jack. I am envious. Years ago I had the opportunity to do evening classes at the local college. They only had places in self-defence classes and woodworking classes. I chose woodworking.

One evening on my way home I was mugged by a young man. I offered to build a shelf for him. He looked at me, laughed and ran away. So you see, it pays to be skilled at woodworking. Now I need to learn plumbing.

God bless.

Woody said...

Love your Picture and Junk Room Photo, I have always been one who did not like Cupboard Doors, I wanted to see where things were. I always wanted my Pictures, Knick knacks and Mementos out in view ! Just relaxing up here, Hot and Humid, Temp now at almost 6PM is 86 degrees. Nice neat job on Plumbing the Vanity ! Looks good ! Just trying to stay kool ! You take care and behave, sending down Love from the North, Gary an Anna Mae

Mevely317 said...

Already, it looks better than I imagined! In particular, I love the murals -- what sweet memories!
Who needs a full-size stove, anyway? Aside from the cooktop, we've not turned on the oven in a year.

Sure looking forward to seeing the rest. Will you be singing, "The best is yet to come .....!"

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good for you on another job well done. It's nice to be prepared and you are certainly doing that by preparing a space just in case. You never know when it might come in handy.

Glenda said...

Jack, You are amazing! What can I say? Everything you do, you conquer. Your kids, and their kids love you two and their Papa.
Have a great week, hugs from Chobee!