Sunday, October 19, 2014

Yeah, I have a couple more ideas:

Maybe not an idea,  but I have been around the religious world all my life. Mostly the conservative end of it. Sundays I seem to think of church. Today Glenda has invited us to attend the Church of Christ in Okeechobee.

Billy-Graham-Thomas-Nelson

I have always admired Billy Graham for his simple approach and burning desire to make the world a better place.  I have never attended one of the crusades, but have watched several of them on TV. I never noticed him taking a lot of time raising funds.  I never heard him tell folks ‘Give a $100 and GOD will return you $1000’. I appreciated his life, a life that as I remember, was never under a cloud of ‘misconduct’ of any kind.  I remember at the top of his ministry he drove an older car and not a Rolls Royce.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/paperbacktheology/2012/01/fleecing-the-flock-a-snapshot-of-americas-richest-pastors.html

Bishop-IV-Hillaird-Mansion-False-Prophet-Wolf-in-Sheep-clothing-e1371921054603

I was never taught that the Christian life was one of GIVE AND GET.  I was told and taught that God loved a cheerful giver and I have tried to live up to that. We have never ‘given to get something in return’, however we have been a good stewards of what we earned and we have been blessed beyond our wildest dreams.

copeland1

I guess what I am getting  at is I do not understand the Multi-millionaire and even Billionaire preachers, the ones who continue  ask for more when they could support a ministry with their own funds.

NOW let me clarify something. In recent years we have had ministers get RICH from the sale of life changing books. One minister paid his church back every dollar he had been paid over the years and still gave more. He no longer accepts a salary and returns over 90% of his earnings to the church.  You may recall his name.  I just thought of it, Rick Warren.

copeland5

I just do not understand a preacher with a 30 room mansion, pools, private airport and movie rooms etc.

More than enough said…..

Okay, Holidays. I miss them being a big deal to me. When you are working, a holiday is a great thing. A chance to take the family on a mini vacation camping or to see something special. Holidays allowed for a good picnic.  But now, I even forget it is a holiday and go the post office and it is closed.  I sorta miss that feeling.

On another subject, I have mentioned this before, how many pencils and pens do I need? I just counted 23 in this jar beside my computer.

He did use the Bounce to rub MJ with and said it did help a lot.  MJ seemed to like it too.

We are enjoying a visit with son Mark and his dog MJ. Mark did close on his house over in Palm Bay, so now he is homeless in Florida.  His STUFF is in storage. He is on his way to North Carolina to see his family(and Stella especially, I think) before returning to Florida and looking for another house to buy and repair. He is getting back into the real world and we are very happy.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

(Blonde joke)

A blonde man shouts frantically into the phone, "My wife is pregnant, and her contractions are only two minutes apart!"


"Is this her first child?" asks the Doctor.


"No!" he shouts, "this is her husband!"

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<V>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1949-1951-nash-airflyte-4

The old Bathtub Nash.  Nash later became Rambler and American Motors.

10 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I hear you about the preachers. True indeed.

Mevely317 said...

I suspect preachers like that (remember Elmer Gantry?) give others a bad rap by association. I'm embarrassed to admit, I know little about Rick Warren. He sounds like a real stand-up sort.

'Glad to hear Mark's in a good place in his life right now!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good thoughts there for a Sunday. It's a sunny but cool day in Ohio and I'm thankful for the days the sun does shine. Hope you both are enjoying some there too!

Chatty Crone said...

I read that site on the preachers and their money.

I have always truly loved Billy Graham for his faithful life. I don't think for one minute there could be one little dirt dug up on him.

The others - blah - blah - blah...

Woody said...

Good Ole Okeechobee, I know that Church, I think it's on Parrot Ave.
We got some spitting Snow this morning, temp was 34 and it felt cold on the way to church. stay warm, sending best wishes from the North Country!!

Gary

Yaya Snaps said...

Billy Graham was quite a favorite of Don and I...I miss him.

betty said...

Most of those ministers on that list I hadn't even heard of and the few I knew of I don't hold high opinions of them. I wonder with Franklin Graham, yes he made a lot of money, but what did he do with that money? That I would be curious of. And yes indeed about Rick Warren; we did attend his church for a bit before we moved, I have said that before. He was your "just average" looking guy. No fancy "bling", his favorite outfit was a Hawiain type shirt and jeans to preach in. Drove an older vehicle too.

I think it is okay if a minister makes a lot of money off sales of books, that type of thing. I don't think it should be at the expense of their congregation.

betty

Rick Watson said...

Don't get me started.
I keep my notes on my iPhone.
Often when I'm stuck without an idea I can flip to my notes and find one.
But sometimes when I look back over them I ask myself - what the heck was I think!!!

shirl72 said...

Franklin Graham built the Billy
Graham Museum in Charlotte, NC.
It is a wonderful place to visit.

I cannot watch TV Ministers because
of them begging for money.

Glad Mark is back on the right road.

Paula said...

Your comment about how many pens and pencils made me laugh. We have a jar in three rooms brimming full and I wager half won't write. Do we think we are going to run out or what?